Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I got to look through a bunch of scopes today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

I got to look through a bunch of scopes today

I looked through a bunch of scopes today, here they are:
NF NXS 8-32
NF NXS 5-22
NF BR 12-42
Leupold VX-3 4-14
Leupold VX-3 6-20
Trijicon 5-20
Zeiss Diavari 3-12
Vortex-lower end not sure which model

conditions were pretty dark before sunset in cloudy rainy weather

i had a question, basically everyone raves about the NXS, and i was not at all impressed, the 8-32 focus was changing on me at different powers and was never all that clear, and the 5-22 was not bad, but not great either. could this just be how my eyes see things or have others been really not that impressed?

the NF BR i was impressed with, and once i focused it it was focused through all powers, and was very clear, i know it should be the same glass, but something was different about it, also like the fast focus eyepiece style

the leupolds actually impressed me also, to my eyes definitely looked better and brighter than the NXS.

the trijicon was also very nice, and seemed to be pretty bright and stayed focused on all powers

the zeiss was probably the best optically for my eyes

i was impressed with the vortex for the price

when i looked at all of them i was using 10-12 power to sort of compare fairly..

after looking at all of this, i still would like to see IOR and Sightron, but do not know if i will get to see an IOR how do they fit in compared to these? i am leaning towards a zeiss diavari 6-24x56 which is at the top of my price range, so schmidt and bender or anything more expensive is out of the question, anything else i should look at?

thanks for responses in advance

any comments on this? has anyone else done anything like this and had results similar?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: I got to look through a bunch of scopes today

I would look into the MK 4 line up from Leupold. Also, check that NXS 5.5-22 again. Go all the way outside with it. Flourecent light does no lens justice.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

i was outside with them, i currently have a mark 4 6-20 i wanted to go up in magnification, and glass quality if possible... i also have a vari-x-3 6-20 lrt, that i want to replace with a 4-14 or something like that as that gun will not be dedicated to longer range anymore

but i will do nothing with the mark 4 unless i notice a difference in optics and go up in magnification and it is semi cost effective
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Trijicon is making some waves guys. I have two of the above named scopes and my eye tells me the TR23 has the bright glass. Bill Maylor..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maylor View Post
Trijicon is making some waves guys. I have two of the above named scopes and my eye tells me the TR23 has the bright glass. Bill Maylor..

what scopes do you have?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have done the same as you except for the most expensive scopes ($1800.00+)
and found nearly the same thing. Your comment about "your eyes" is correct. each
persons eyes respond differently to the lens coatings and one person may have a
different opinion of brightness.

It appears that the MK4 Leupold is as good as I can find for the money with my eyes.

The zeiss diavari was next but prices are out of my range now.

The old M8 12X target Leupold was one of the brightest in a 40mm objective that I ever
saw and used.

For inexpensive scopes the Nikon's with the side focus are very clear and gather light
well.

There are a lot of good quality scopes available today and I have not tried some of them
outside where you get a better comparison.

But the leupold's are good to my eyes and wallet so that's why most of my scopes are
Leupold's .

Also I like the weight, generous eye relief and the durability they have.

The important thing is to get the scope that best fit your eyes and needs irregardless of
brand.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

Your comment about "your eyes" is correct. each persons eyes respond differently to the lens coatings and one person may have a different opinion of brightness.

There are a lot of good quality scopes available today and I have not tried some of them outside where you get a better comparison.

But the leupold's are good to my eyes and wallet so that's why most of my scopes are Leupold's .

Also I like the weight, generous eye relief and the durability they have.

The important thing is to get the scope that best fit your eyes and needs regardless of brand.

J E CUSTOM
Well said and agreed!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 08-25-2010 at 06:47 AM.