Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

I can't believe this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 04:24 PM

I can\'t believe this

After chasing around loads that seem very promising,only to have them suddenly fall apart,for weeks now. I have noticed my nightforce slipping forward, ever so slightly,every few shots.ARGHHHH!!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Burris signature zee rings with the plastic inserts.
Does anybody know how to stop this for sure ,and how much torque to put on the ring screws?
I noticed they are spitting oil,I'll clean them first.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I can\'t believe this

Never had a problem with them using the 3.5-10x40 on my 416wby, it is lighter than the NF though. You might try tightening it up after making sure it is dry and clean. Are the inserts or rings either one making contact at the edges on both sides and not clamping the scope all the way?
Old 02-02-2003, 07:06 PM

I have not tightened them enough to pull the rings all the way together. I have been using 15 inch pounds of torque. I don't remember why I started using that amount of torque.It was based on something originally but I can't remember now. How tight should the rings be?
Old 02-02-2003, 07:32 PM

frank--
If you go ahead and get them clean and dry and use 20-25 inch pounds you won't have anymore problems. They are really slick with oil on them, but work well when dry. Use some acetone or Gunscrubber to clean the inserts--this will dry them completely.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

I tend to torque mine probably a bit more than I need to, I'll just say I'd be better off using a torx bit not the allen head ones. Someday I may never get one of mine loose! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I had my Nikon slide in the rings once and it slammed the hell out of it before I noticed it, I've over torqued them ever since. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 07:27 AM

Brent, I totally understand where you are coming from.I'll be useing a 4ft cheater bar on my ring screws from now on.
That or 25inch pounds,whatever works. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Frankg
Scope like NXS and MK4's have significantly thicker aluminum bodies and can take more torque when you tighten scope rings, but most 1" tubes will collapse to varying degrees if you over squeeze them by tightening too much. I have seen several Leupold VariX111's that have recessed areas on the tube where the rings were clamped too tight. I also have a Leupold 6.5-20 that I overtightened, just using the little allen wrench with the resulting squeeze section, looks like hell but the scope functions OK. I knew that I should not overtighten those rings, thought I was just getting them snug and still crimped the barrel.
I was told that the large tactical style rings such as Badgers and MK4's develope significant clamping forces because they have four capscrews sucking down rather than two. That is why they only need 15 inch-pounds, plus they have a very large contact area to the scope tube.
Just thought I would warn that too tight can be as big a problem as too loose. Too tight can also cause internal stuff to jam. They weight of your scope might also be a factor, heavy scopes are apparently more difficult to hold in place than a light scope.
If drying the plastic inserts does not help you might need a set of rings with more contact area, I would be carefull about overtightening the screws. We can also damage the entegrity of the screw by overtightening it, many armourers throw away used screws because they fear that "stretching" has taken place. These guys always replace new ones, preferably TORX.