Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Huskemaw or Sightron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

Huskemaw or Sightron

Hey guys, I am building a 7mm Rem Mag and plan on shooting distances up to 1000 yards. I am wondering what scope you guys would choose if you were in my situation...a Huskemaw 5-20 or a Sightron 6-24? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Huskemaw or Sightron

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have been very pleased with my Huskemaw which I chose because of the features that make it a great scope for back country hunting. The turret system for dialing elevation based on yardage works great, it has always been right on for me and much quicker for me than calculating moa. The windage marks seem to be good also. A huge plus for me is the compact size for a 20x scope. I cant pack a huge scope with the miles that I cover on foot or on a horse. The clarity of the glass is plenty good although many try to unfavorably compare it to other scopes whose strong point is haveing the best glass available. So it comes down to tradeoffs in best features. For me it was a choice between the husky and greybull and I chose the huskey to get the 20x over greybulls 14x. That said if your main game is paper, steel, or prairy dogs and your not needing to lug it all thru the backcountry chasing elk or mulies then your priorities make dictate something different.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
Depends on what you want to use it for. I have been very pleased with my Huskemaw which I chose because of the features that make it a great scope for back country hunting. The turret system for dialing elevation based on yardage works great, it has always been right on for me and much quicker for me than calculating moa. The windage marks seem to be good also. A huge plus for me is the compact size for a 20x scope. I cant pack a huge scope with the miles that I cover on foot or on a horse. The clarity of the glass is plenty good although many try to unfavorably compare it to other scopes whose strong point is haveing the best glass available. So it comes down to tradeoffs in best features. For me it was a choice between the husky and greybull and I chose the huskey to get the 20x over greybulls 14x. That said if your main game is paper, steel, or prairy dogs and your not needing to lug it all thru the backcountry chasing elk or mulies then your priorities make dictate something different.
What scope/brand would you compare the Huskemaw glass quality to? I plan on doing some target shooting with the gun, but mostly use it to shoot big game. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

D_
I really cant tell the difference looking thru my Huskemaw or a Leupold VX3.
I also have a Burris Signature Select 3x12x44 than I really like but set on the same magnification my husky appears a little better.
Many on this site rave about the glass quality in Swaro and Nightforce scopes and I'm sure that it is tops but they didn't have the other features that were most important to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

DanMan is steering you straight. Any you can buy 'em right here.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

DanMan is steering you straight. And, you can buy 'em right here.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

I had a VXIII and recently "upgraded" to a Sightron SIII. Camparing the two the leupold wasn't even close. Sightron had better glass hands down. More repeatable hands down. Needless to say I will never own another luepold again.

Nightforces are nice I do admit but i can't warrant the cost when you can own almost two sightrons for the cost of a Nightforce.

And yes I have had all three I mentioned above. The Nightforce and the Leupold got sold....the Sightron is still sitting on my gun and will continue to stay prolly for a long time