Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

huskemaw scope issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

huskemaw scope issue

yesterday I was out doing some data collection and I came accros a possible issue with my huskemaw scope, it may be normal but I thought it to be odd. I used my shooter app, plugged in my variables and my clicks and fired for effect, my bullet struck A LOT lower than expected. shooter said my clicks should have been 73 clicks at 1095 yards and it was actually 87. at 890 yards it said it should have been 49 and it was actually 60...I also check it at 625 and it was spot on....is it normal for this to happen? the rifle/load combo being used for this was a 264 win mag shooting 130 accubonds at an avg mv os 3373.

on another rifle that I own in the same caliber, ive plugged in my variables the same exact way using the same exact rest shooting at the same rock using a sightron 4-16 scope and dialed to 1095 and had first round hits on multiple occoaisons with a couple different people to witness.

is it possible that the listed bc of the 130 ab is off? or do I possible have an issue with my huskemaw scope and its not tracking correctly? or is there something im missing?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: huskemaw scope issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman983 View Post
yesterday I was out doing some data collection and I came accros a possible issue with my huskemaw scope, it may be normal but I thought it to be odd. I used my shooter app, plugged in my variables and my clicks and fired for effect, my bullet struck A LOT lower than expected. shooter said my clicks should have been 73 clicks at 1095 yards and it was actually 87. at 890 yards it said it should have been 49 and it was actually 60...I also check it at 625 and it was spot on....is it normal for this to happen? the rifle/load combo being used for this was a 264 win mag shooting 130 accubonds at an avg mv os 3373.

on another rifle that I own in the same caliber, ive plugged in my variables the same exact way using the same exact rest shooting at the same rock using a sightron 4-16 scope and dialed to 1095 and had first round hits on multiple occoaisons with a couple different people to witness.

is it possible that the listed bc of the 130 ab is off? or do I possible have an issue with my huskemaw scope and its not tracking correctly? or is there something im missing?
Your Huskamaw scope is 1/3 minute clicks. Your app is probably giving you output for 1/4 minute clicks.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

one of the parameters you can change is what click value your scope is and its set to 1/3 clicks
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

How certain are you of your velocity with the 130 AB's? It seems pretty high. Judging from your results, using too high a velocity and/ or BC value for the AB is more likely the issue then there being a problem with your scope. Trying another scope would rule this out pretty easily.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

is it possible for the chrony to read 200+ fps off ? im not doubting you im just trying to figure this thing out as its starting to get frustrating. just curious, if the fps value I used is incorrect then how can I use an incorecct value and have the right click amount at 625yards and have It be so far off at a longer distance.

I did run the numbers again using a fps that was much slower, and the numbers came back really close to what the actual click value should be...i'll shoot a few more and check but when I shot thru the chrony last time I was certain I set it up correctly and did everything right
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman983 View Post
is it possible for the chrony to read 200+ fps off ? im not doubting you im just trying to figure this thing out as its starting to get frustrating. just curious, if the fps value I used is incorrect then how can I use an incorecct value and have the right click amount at 625yards and have It be so far off at a longer distance.

I did run the numbers again using a fps that was much slower, and the numbers came back really close to what the actual click value should be...i'll shoot a few more and check but when I shot thru the chrony last time I was certain I set it up correctly and did everything right
I'm not exactly sure what the issue is but I plugged your velocity and bullet into Shooter using an altitude of 2500ft and 70 temp and a BC of .488. Not exact, but close. If your velocity was off and the actual was 3150FPS, I get values very close to your actuals;

The difference at 600 yards would be 5 clicks between 3373 and 3150FPS. At 890 yards I get 58.2compared to your actual of 60 clicks. At 1095 I get 88 clicks against your 87. My values using 3373 FPS is within a couple of clicks of your computed
values. I only suspect your velocity of 3373 because the Nosler 264 Ammo which is loaded up to take advantage of the 264WM's capabilities runs at 3100FPS. 3373FPS sounds very high for that bullet in a 264. I'm not saying that this is your issue but I would start there. I have seen chronographs give errors of 200FPS. having seen the similarity between my calculations and your actuals I does lead me to believe your scope is probably OK. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Maybe you could put up some paper at around 100 yards and check it. Use a long sheet of paper and shoot at the bottom, dial in 20-30 minutes aim at the same point and see where it hits. That should verify what is going on.