Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

huskemaw or Grey Bull Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

huskemaw or Grey Bull Precision

Am looking at both of these scopes. Both are priced similarly and have a lot of the same features other than magnification. If purchased, would likely get two turrets - one with moa and the other with the compensator.

I am looking only at these two scopes now as I like the idea of a compensator turret, and also a reticle that has moa windage. I do own a pda w/exbal and have a kestrel, and have shot a lot of long range, so am not new to LRH, just like the simplicity of the compensator.

Have read Ernie's review of Huskemaw - and like the sounds of it, but have a lot of respect for John Burns and assume his product is great also. The scope would be on a braked 338 Lapua and be used on elk and deer from short to long range. I shoot long range targets for practice and shoot game as the conditions allow - ie it doesn't have to be long range, my goal is a one shot kill.

Question: Which of the two scopes would you purchase?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: huskemaw or Grey Bull Precision

never seen a huskemaw but have used john burns scope and really liked the build and design. very nice reticle. also love the fact that it is a leupold so you know for a fact you never have to worry about warranty issues. I am sure huskemaw has a very good warranty plan as well but who do you really send it to, "The Best Of The West"? Also i am sure the Huskemaw tracks very well and is repeatable but is still somewhat of a newer product and the leupold is a tested tried and true platform. Also with burns's scope right now i beleive you get 2 sets of turrets with the purchase but maybe that deal is over.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Bronze Member

Z
My thoughts also on each point you brought up. Spoke w/ Don yesterday and placed the order. You Actually get 3 turrets if ordered this month - one in either moa or numbered clicks, plus two custom drop turrets that you can have made at your convenience. When watching the video on the scope, I got the impression that the lens covers were included, but they are additional.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

There is no way you will be disappointed. plus two drop turrets, thats at least $160 savings right there.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

I am going to put my two cents in this conversation. Take a look at Darrell Holland's ART system. I think you find you will be very happy with ART system and how it compairs with the other guys. The ART can help you in achiving your shooting goals. Give Darrell a call he will happy to go over what his systems can do for you. He has helped me big time!! No, I do not work for Holand Gunsmithing.

Good luck

Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Bronze Member

Iown a leupold with premire optics bdc also the huskemaw both are great but the huskemaw edges out the leupold. 1 14 power versus 20 no brainer if your shooting 1000 plus clarity of glass equal. the huskemaww has so many features like windage calc, that are eazy to use has much eazier method of range estimation.get the operation manuals for both and compare.good shooting.2009 killed bullelk at ranged 1.024yds. with the husky
Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1300meters View Post
Iown a leupold with premire optics bdc also the huskemaw both are great but the huskemaw edges out the leupold. 1 14 power versus 20 no brainer if your shooting 1000 plus clarity of glass equal. the huskemaww has so many features like windage calc, that are eazy to use has much eazier method of range estimation.get the operation manuals for both and compare.good shooting.2009 killed bullelk at ranged 1.024yds. with the husky
I think the Grey bull scope they are talking about also has the windage calculation retical same as the huskemaw.
(I dont own either scope) but the husky has a zero stop not sure about John Burns scope? my leupolds dont but I use a red sharpie to mark my zero on my m1 turret work real good for me.
But the Leupold has 1/4 moa the husky has 1/3 moa not a big deal until you start streaching things out.