Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

huskemaw or gray bull rifle scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM

huskemaw or gray bull rifle scope

Hay gents, i'm interested in purchasing some glass for my 300 ultra & was
wondering what you all thought about the huskemaw vs. gray bull leupold?
i am a long time fan of leupold but have heard good things of the huskemaw!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: huskemaw or gray bull rifle scope

You are going to get a ton of answers some for and some against both scopes. I'll tell you that I will be buying the Huskemaw to give it a go. I have Leupold scopes and like them very much but I want to try out the Huskemaw. I've only looked through one once and I'd say the glass was on par with the new Leupold VX3's. I don't think you could go wrong with either scope but I like the simple reticle of the Huskemaw, the 5-20 power range, the zero stop and the fact that I can use a regular target turret or have them build one. I'll tell you though the one thing that set them apart from Greybull for me was the fact that every time I talk to them over the phone or in person they are friendly and helpful. Even when they didn't know the answer, they found one without acting like I was bothering them. I can not say the same for John Burns. I'd like to think I caught him on a bad day but this was in person and over the phone so I don't know.. I'm sorry but service still means something to me.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it works out.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM

boman,thanks for the info! I totally agree with your position in your post,i believe i am going to go with the huskemaw. i like the higher magnifacation as well & the thumbs up on service is a important consideration also!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

I went with the vx3 then set it to the custom shop and had the m1 dials put on it.
Iwent this way for a few reasons with this set up I get 94 moa of travel in the scope which is more than most scopes.
and I really like leupolds but I also get a great price witha family member working there.
Its a great set up i would not repalce it.
go with what you like If you settle for something you really dont like because somebody told you too youll never be happy .
I think they are close enough you wont know the diff.
I would order one from the custon shop and not grey bull thats all he is doing then putting his name on it and selling it to you.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Gold Member

retiredcpo makes a good point but to be fair the Greybull scope does come with 1/3moa turrets rather than the standard Leupold 1/4 moa turrets.

Another reason I like the Huskemaw over the Leupold is the windage corrections on the turrets as well. To me that makes it a no brainer in the field. At the range no big deal but when you are hunting you might not have a bunch of time. Sorry had to add that.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

do what you want, say what you want, BUT , all the bells and gizmo's in the world won't make you a better shot. Buy the most expensive glass you can afford with either mill dot, or reticle like the leupold varmint, and LEARN HOW TO USE IT . It will be cheaper than Huskemaw or graybull, and you can use the money saved for practice ammo.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM

lots of good points made from all,i have a lot to consider before my pyrchase it seems. thanks for the info gents!!