Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Huskemaw Good or Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Huskemaw Good or Bad

I recently purchased a Huskemaw 5-20X50 Blue Diamond, I have not had a chance to even try it out yet and I'm not sure if I spent some hard earned cash on a good scope or not. I won't mention the name of the web site I was on but I could not find a single good thing said about this scope and now I am here on this site and can't find anything bad about them. The other site of course was not into Long Range Hunting and I respect that and I do not intend to be out shooting at animals beyond my capabilities regardless of the capabilities of my rifle or scope. I would just like an honest opinion from people who have used/owned this scope and if it is worth the money I put out for it. The rifle I put it on is a Browning XBolt in 7mm WSM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Huskemaw Good or Bad

Buy Huskemaw Scopes Here - Read Review of Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope

At the end of the article there is a discussion thread.

Also, the search function will lead to many many threads along this same line.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Limited experience here, only about 180 rounds worth on a new 6.5-284. Shot out to 800 yds on 3 separate days.

Click test indicated (shot twice for confirmation, and rifle was putting bullets touching each other at 100)...........click values on my individual scope were .375 IPHY or .358 MOA per click at 100 yds through the first full revolution above the zero. Pretty course adjustments really, but necessary in some cases to get to 1000 yds with one revolution on the dial I would guess.

Good power range, good reticle thickness, not too heavy nor too long, and good optics IME so far. The scope is definately capable of sub 1/2 moa groups from 100 on out to 700 probably even further (wind was giving me issues at 800 and I wasn't shooting with a spotter). When the side focus is set at 200, it's parallax free and fully focused at 200 also, which is a huge time saver when a quick shot at a 400 or 500 yd coyote is needed.

Only issue I had was most likely environmental, very very low evening sun directly in my eyes. Had a bedded coyote at 440 yds and all I could see in the scope was white light. I was probably only able to see the yote in the binos and rangefinder because of using the pickup roof as a sunshade........got out and laid prone on the ground to shoot......couldn't shoot, couldn't see.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

I know a couple of guys that have em and they love them, I've never personally heard or seen anything bad about them. I don't care for that reticle though, but that's just my tastes.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I know a couple of guys that have em and they love them, I've never personally heard or seen anything bad about them. I don't care for that reticle though, but that's just my tastes.
That reminds me, which I forgot to mention above......I wish the reticle had 2 or 3 dashes below the center intersection, spaced in some sort of MOA configuration, possibly 2 MOA spacing X 3 dashes.?

Possible downside to the scope is that there is currently no "holdover" dashes, dots, ticks or otherwise for quick shots at the 350 to 500 yd range, scope pretty much has to be dialed for anything further than 1 MOA drop beyond the zero distance. Not very quick if the dust cover is screwed on.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

[QUOTE="SBruce;709030"] ...Only issue I had was most likely environmental, very very low evening sun directly in my eyes. Had a bedded coyote at 440 yds and all I could see in the scope was white light. I was probably only able to see the yote in the binos and rangefinder because of using the pickup roof as a sunshade........got out and laid prone on the ground to shoot......couldn't shoot, couldn't see./QUOTE]

That's not necessarily the environment. The Huskemaw 5-20x50 that I evaluated had below average glare performance. The 3-12x50 model had average glare performance. Would a scope with better glare performance have allowed you to see the target in that situation? Probably yes. A sunshade may have helped as well.

In the $1,300 to $1,800 price price range there are other scopes with better glare performance. Swarovski Z5 comes to mind.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrig793 View Post
I recently purchased a Huskemaw 5-20X50 Blue Diamond, I have not had a chance to even try it out yet and I'm not sure if I spent some hard earned cash on a good scope or not. I won't mention the name of the web site I was on but I could not find a single good thing said about this scope and now I am here on this site and can't find anything bad about them. The other site of course was not into Long Range Hunting and I respect that and I do not intend to be out shooting at animals beyond my capabilities regardless of the capabilities of my rifle or scope. I would just like an honest opinion from people who have used/owned this scope and if it is worth the money I put out for it. The rifle I put it on is a Browning XBolt in 7mm WSM.
I've been going back and forth on these scopes for a long time now. The problem I have is that none are available locally so that I can at least check it out. In the end, I chose not to go with a Huskemaw because of mixed reviews and many were citing that you are paying $1300 bucks for a $500-700 dollar scope. I purchased Leica and Zeiss scopes instead.