Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

Huskemaw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Huskemaw?

I am probably going to get a lot of hate mail for this but I thought I would share it anyway. As some of you know I am new to the long range scene. I have always spent countless hours working up loads and fine tuning my rifles but as far as the long range thing goes im only about a year deep in it. I have a Tikka T3 lite in 25-06 with a Zeiss Rapid Z-800 on it. I only have a few hundred rounds through the rifle since I mounted this scope on it. Like I said my experience is no where near close to what many of you have with LR hunting and shooting. I have a cousin and her and her fiancee work for BOTW they are huge believers of the Huskemaw. They have always been insistent that if I tried their scope just once I would love it and never look back. Well one sunday a few weeks ago I got a call and they said they were driving the hour to my town and we were gonna go shooting. I was pretty excited to finally see what this scope was all about. I had taken the scope off my tikka because I was planning on buying some Talley one piece rings but decided to put it back on for our little shoot. I bore sighted it and I was ready to go. We got out there and set up one of my 8" metal Gongs and we drove out to 500 so I could see how close my scope was to being on. I smacked it the first shot so called it good enough for what we were doing. Then we drove out to 800 (my maximum range with the Rapid Z 800) so we could compare apples to apples. They had a cooper 6.5x284 and a custom 264 win mag both with huskemaw scopes. First they shot several times with the 6.5 and couldnt hit it. then the 264 several times and never hit it. Thats ok not a representation of the scope to miss it could be any number of things. Then I shot my rifle. 3 times adjusting my power ring until I had it dialed in and could smack the gong. I felt good that I had fired the least amount of shots and hit it first. I asked if I could look throug one of their scopes and it was hazy and wavy and really just blurry. I turned the scope down to 10 power where I had mine set and it was still horrible. I messed with the focus and power and could never get a clear sight picture. But my Zeiss was clear as could be. By the end of the shooting session they were finally able to hit the gong twice with the 6.5 and the 264 ran out of shells and never hit it. I shot the 6.5 2 times and hit the gong both times with it. so as far as how well the rifles were shot is up in the air but I was greatly dissapointed in the Huskemaw on all levels. Nothing I was told about them seemed evidently true... Any chatter on this?

Quote:
Publisher's Note:

Please go to near the end of this thread and read the thread starter's amended take on the scope as well as that of other participants -- to be fair to the Huskemaw people.

Mike's comments after a do-over.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad

Last edited by Len Backus; 03-16-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

re: Huskemaw?

Wow 91 readers and no responders. Does no one have an opinion on this? It seems to me that a company making such huge claims would have defenders or at least someone interested in giving their opinion. I know if it was night force, swarovski, zeiss leupold etc.. there would be tons of replies, I would be one of them!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Wow 91 readers and no responders. Does no one have an opinion on this? It seems to me that a company making such huge claims would have defenders or at least someone interested in giving their opinion. I know if it was night force, swarovski, zeiss leupold etc.. there would be tons of replies, I would be one of them!
Evidently you are correct. Isn't that how it works? I have never seen one of these scopes. What I don't understand from your original post, is how could your friends bring one that had blurry optics? As I understand the scope, it is the turret system that is it's claim to fame. But blurry optics?

Steve
Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Wow!!! I would think if they worked for BOTW that there scopes would be prestine. This is the first negative review I have heard on their scopes.

What did your cousin think about the optical quality between your Zeiss and there Huske?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

The most clear scopes Ive ever looked thru had a price tag to mach thier clarity. The Huskemaw was not one of them.
I know that pre-doped reticles are not for everyone, some folks hate them, but Id take a $400 Burris that had a bplx in it Long before Id pay $1000-1200 for one that only dialed up a couple hundred yards more. If I had a custom L/R rig theres just far better scopes than the Huskemaw in a similar price range for the 800yd mark and beyond.IMO
If the Huskemaw was a $500 scope they'd have a huge following and 99.9% positive feedback. And would probably dimonate the ''affordable'' range scope market. But double that price, and theyre GONNA get compared to Swarovski, Zeiss,Nightforce,and high end Leupolds etc. And Imo the Huskemaw just doesnt cut the mustard when it comes to a comparison like that when it comes to clarity.
It should be noted that I do not OWN any of the above mentioned high end scopes, but I have shot with all but 1 of the above mentioned scopes(Nightforce) but ive looked thru it side by side with the scopes Ive used. so in fairness to Huskemaw, I cannot compare those two with my personal experience.
I liked shooting with the Huskemaw system, & it does work the way they say it does, but for the $............No thanks. If Im gonna drop 1k+ on glass I can afford to add a bit more for a better/more clear, scope.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 03-10-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Well they both claim the a Huskemaw has the same glass as the night force. I dont know if that is what huskemaw claims or if they were just trying to BS but what they are saying it the clarity can not be beat. I disagree obviously. I shoot almost exclusivly Leupold and I have 1 Zeiss Never have I had one of them seem blurry even on a hazy or super hot sunnyday the way the Huskemaw was. The turret system does seem to work correctly however a Luepold or night force with turrets is everybit as accurate.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

The BOTW is nothing but a 30min long advertisement for that scope now. For them to be pushing it that hard you would have thought it was a really good scope. But if its glass is as bad as you say they are most likely making a killing off of them charging $1200 a pop. No wonder they are pushing them so hard
The thread is closed