Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

hunting scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: hunting scope

ok thanks I didn't see that option.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

I have used mil-dot scopes holding for wind, with my elevation turret(in MOA) for drops. It works, but I much prefer everything in MOA. Some second focal plane mil-dot scopes you can set your power so the mil-dots are at 2moa but, in your price range you should get everything in MOA.

I've got the Vortex PST 4-16. It would do all you want. You could get one in 4-16 or 6-24. You could also get this in front focal plane.

I also have a Sightron SIII 6-24X50moa. I feel it is a step up from the PST, but it doesn't come in 4-16 or ffp.

Check out Huskemaw. I don't have one, but they seem to be proving themselves as very useful hunting scopes. They are made specifically for long range hunting. They make a 3-12x44 and a 5-20x50. They can be set up to dial in yardage and hold for wind. They incorporate a 10mph cross wind with the yardage on the elevation turret. This gives you a value in reticle hash marks to hold for a 10mph wind. I think this would be your best bet, for what you want the scope for.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

a friend of mine was just telling me I should go Huskemaw, he and his brothers all love them. I was just worried about the accuracy of the range dials. I read (too much maybe) that they are not all that accurate especially in changing conditions like elevation and temp/humidity. Who has used them and what do you think??
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pills View Post
Looking for some help in deciding on a big game hunting scope for my Cooper 6.5x284. Range for now will be out to 600yds on the top end. I would like to range with a laser and dial the distance. I would like to hold off for wind. so I would like exposed turrets. I haven't decided if I should go MIL or MOA, I have only used MOA to this point but don't mind learning another system. Illuminated reticle would be nice but not a must have. budget +/- 1200.

considering Vortex PST 4-16
Zeiss 4-14
Trijicon

Also looking for opinions on custom turrets. I read some that love them and others say that even the custom matched to your load turrets are not all that accurate. whats the deal on them?
For a true "hunting" scope you need to take a hard look at the Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X50 FFP with the XLR reticle. If you want to dial elevation and hold for wind here you go.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

I have it narrowed down to VX3 3.5-10x40 with M1 for $539 from custom shop or a VX6 2-12x40 for $899. I do like the M1, but 20 moa per turn on the VX6 gets me past where I want to go anyway.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Leo 4-14 or 6-20 common in classifieds here, save a few bucks. I favor fp so I have those versions w/ TMR reticle