Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

hunting scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

hunting scope

Looking for some help in deciding on a big game hunting scope for my Cooper 6.5x284. Range for now will be out to 600yds on the top end. I would like to range with a laser and dial the distance. I would like to hold off for wind. so I would like exposed turrets. I haven't decided if I should go MIL or MOA, I have only used MOA to this point but don't mind learning another system. Illuminated reticle would be nice but not a must have. budget +/- 1200.

considering Vortex PST 4-16
Zeiss 4-14
Trijicon

Also looking for opinions on custom turrets. I read some that love them and others say that even the custom matched to your load turrets are not all that accurate. whats the deal on them?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: hunting scope

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 or Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 would be my top 2 for your needs.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pills View Post
Looking for some help in deciding on a big game hunting scope for my Cooper 6.5x284. Range for now will be out to 600yds on the top end. I would like to range with a laser and dial the distance. I would like to hold off for wind. so I would like exposed turrets. I haven't decided if I should go MIL or MOA, I have only used MOA to this point but don't mind learning another system. Illuminated reticle would be nice but not a must have. budget +/- 1200.

considering Vortex PST 4-16
Zeiss 4-14
Trijicon

Also looking for opinions on custom turrets. I read some that love them and others say that even the custom matched to your load turrets are not all that accurate. whats the deal on them?
I recommend that the scope be 3 to 4power on the lower end and 14 to 16 on the upper power for your type /distance of shooting.

Also I prefer the 30mm tubes (More turret adjustment) and a 50 mm objective for the optimum
light gathering ability) 56mm objectives gets to large and in the way for a hunting rifle IMO.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

I think you would do well with the Leupold VX-R in 4-12X which has the exposed turrets and lighted reticle point. I also have the Vortex Viper LR 4-16X44mm and it is as clear as the VX-R up to 12 power but above that the clarity is not so good. The one attribute of this Vortex that I like better than the Leupy is the .5 MOA elevation adjustments, where the VX-R has .25 MOA. I have compared the VX-R side by side with two Nightforce scopes and when set to the same magnification the brightness and clarity were equal with my eyes and others.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Bronze Member

mudrunner- I like zeiss too I just don't see them offering a reticle where I can dial elevation and hold off for wind. Their z plex makes you hold for both.

gunpoor- the list for the vortex pst has it as .25 moa knobs too. I have a VX-r in 3x9 I may look at the 4-12 but just thought I wanted more power on the top end like 14 or 16.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

In the Conquest 6.5-20x50, they offer a Mil-Dot reticle, which will allow you to dial for elevation, and holdover for wind, or wind and elevation.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
In the Conquest 6.5-20x50, they offer a Mil-Dot reticle, which will allow you to dial for elevation, and holdover for wind, or wind and elevation.

6-20X50 would be my choice also for that caliber