Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

How to use a Nightforce MOAR Rectile?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

How to use a Nightforce MOAR Rectile?

Please have patience and mercy on an inexperienced second focal plane shooter. I am getting into long range shooting. Understand most basics but the whole second focal plane thing has me confused when I hear it only works on one particular power.

With the new Atacr scope, based on my velocity and bullet ballistic coeffient I can run a chart to give me the drop and allow me to figure out how many clicks of moa to be on target at the ranges.

I'm confused about second focal plane? Does this mean my chart will only work when the scope is on 22 power? What if I want to dial up a shot on 8 power?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to use a Nightforce MOAR Rectile?

If you are dialing you can use any power you wish.

With the MOAR in a SFP, if you do not wish to dial, and would rather just hold over using the reticle, or, wish to dial the elevation, and hold over for the wind, the reticle lines are 1 moa apart when you are on 22X. They are 2 moa apart when on 11X.

Pretty simple really, if you choose to dial for both elevation and windage, makes not difference at all what power you are on. Just use a center reticle hold and go.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

I sincerely appreciate your answer. Folks have been so helpful to me on this site. I post some questions on accurate shooter and somebody always has to be a jerk.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

If I shoot at either 11 or 22, does each line below the center crosshair equate to a set yardage?

I am thinking using a rangefinder then turning the dials is the most accurate method?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Fireball View Post
If I shoot at either 11 or 22, does each line below the center crosshair equate to a set yardage?

I am thinking using a rangefinder then turning the dials is the most accurate method?
1: No , not unless you use your ballistic app to see where your rifle would shoot at in moa first. Lets say the ballistic app says 4 moa for a 400 yard shot. On 22X you would go down and use the 4th line below center. ON 11X you would only go down 2 lines to get 4 moa as the lines are 2 moa ea. on 11X

2: Yes, using a laser RF and turning dials in my preferred method. That way if you need 5 .5 moa you are not holding between lines.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, Jeff.

Do you tape a drop and turret adjustment chart to your rifle for hunting?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Fireball View Post
Thanks, Jeff.

Do you tape a drop and turret adjustment chart to your rifle for hunting?
No I have a log book I carry in my pack for emergencies, but for the most part I use my phone app. Either Shooter or Applied Ballistics.

Jeff