Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

How much do you plan to spend on your next rifle scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How much do you plan to spend on your next rifle scope?

I'll probably try one of the new VX-3's next. Then maybe an NF if I can afford it when that day comes. Clearly, just so I can be in the "cool kids camp".
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing, I plan on winning mine, a shiny new Swarovski Z5

Alright maybe thats a little optimistic, I try and spend as little as I can to get something that will do what I need. With that said , I'm pretty certain I'll never plunk down over $1000 for a scope (barring a lottery win) just to many things like college for the boys, retirement, and eating that get in the way.

Chris
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
Nothing, I plan on winning mine, a shiny new Swarovski Z5

Alright maybe thats a little optimistic, I try and spend as little as I can to get something that will do what I need. With that said , I'm pretty certain I'll never plunk down over $1000 for a scope (barring a lottery win) just to many things like college for the boys, retirement, and eating that get in the way.

Chris
Retirement is a thing of the past isn't it? And that eating is a nasty habit that you should try quitting anyway.

All kidding aside, I know what you mean. I make a pretty darn good living, but two kids a mortgage, etc.. You know the "responsibilities" do have to come first. Heck I'm young and trying to get my feet planted firm, so I will keep beating my head off the wall trying to find the cheaper, better scope.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Retirement is a thing of the past isn't it?
Unfortunately, right at the moment my 401K would agree with that, keeping my fingers crossed though.

Quote:
And that eating is a nasty habit that you should try quitting anyway.
That would probably do me some good too, at least for 10 or 15 lbs could afford better optics

Chris
Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

I have just purchased 3 VX 3's in thr last 2 months and very happy

1 - 4.5-14 40 mm a/o Vm. reticle
2- 4.5 - 14 40 mm Boone Cr. LR 30 mm tube sf
Thought about the NF but don't like the weight.
Mike
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

When at Kirby's last year I shot a NF and a 10x Mark 4. I have a Swarovski 6x18-50 on my .257 Wby. I went with a NF 5.5x22-50 NSX Zero Stop NP1 reticle for the 7mm AM. The Mark 4 didn't have enough magnification to suit me, and the Swarovski's reticle is too thick plus it doesn't have as much adjustment as the NF. The Mark 4 was plenty good enough for 600-800 Yds, but hopefully I can stretch that a ways.