Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

How many clicks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: How many clicks

The custom turret idea never made sense to me. Isnt it easier and cheaper to spend a coulpe hours on the range seeing what your bullet does threw your rifle, at your altitude, with your barrel length etc.

I sure hope the custom turret works better for you than I think its going to. Espicially if you only gave them the bullet weight. Bullets fly alot diffrent from one design to the next even if the weight and diameter is the same
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
The custom turret idea never made sense to me. Isnt it easier and cheaper to spend a coulpe hours on the range seeing what your bullet does threw your rifle, at your altitude, with your barrel length etc.
I think the custom turrets make sense if you've done exactly what you mention and then send them the drop data, velocities, etc so that they can make the turret work exactly as you expect it to work.

Using factory published data will get you in the ballpark but no guarantees after that.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
I think the custom turrets make sense if you've done exactly what you mention and then send them the drop data, velocities, etc so that they can make the turret work exactly as you expect it to work.

Using factory published data will get you in the ballpark but no guarantees after that.

Im defintally not saying they cant work because that would be dead wrong. Im just saying personally its easier and cheaper for me to shoot at a target 500 yards away and see what happens than it is to tell the company all my ballistics, or plug in my ballistics on some cellphone app.

Its just diffrent schools of thought I guess
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I usually don't have time in the middle of a hunt to shoot something 500 yards away and see how close I am before I take the next shot on the animal.

Once you have all the data, instead of a drop chart it takes less time to dial in your yardage and take a shot than to pay attention to how many MOA you dialed and hope you didn't lose count in the excitement or turn the turret the wrong way. I've seen both happen. The correctly configured turret cuts out 1 or 2 steps and saves time.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
I usually don't have time in the middle of a hunt to shoot something 500 yards away and see how close I am before I take the next shot on the animal.
I always figure out where im going to hit before the hunt
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

This is supposed to be a joke right? Very expensive scope and not sure how to adjust at 200...I think this is supposed to be funny.

gary
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8andbait View Post
This is supposed to be a joke right? Very expensive scope and not sure how to adjust at 200...I think this is supposed to be funny.

gary
You may be right. Or, it just goes to show that spending a fair amount of money doesn't make you any smarter.