Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

how to clean scope lens? or help doing it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: how to clean scope lens? or help doing it

I always take great care with my optics. Dirty lenses need not be a problem in the field.
Take a deep breath and blow all the crude off ya can. Then spit on it, take the cleanest part of your dirty T-shirt and buff it up. Works great every time.
Phil
Hunt fast, brag every chance ya get.
NRA Life Member.
I like cats. My dogs even like cats.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Well, dont do that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Clean as seldom as you can is my motto . Simply because the more often you clean is greater the chance for damage to the glass / coatings .

When you do clean : 1. blow all the loose debris away with either your breath or compressed air .2. Clean lenses with alcohol and a photo paper grade cloth after that .

Dont rub hard ! dont clean when unecessary.

My best advice , Jim B.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

I agree with Jimm on the lens paper,Ive been using Kodaks lens paper for years.Any camera lens cleaner works good for scopes.I never really liked the idea of a lens pen.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

The problem with lens pens is that they are dust and grit magnets . The longer you have them the more dangerous they are . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Get a can of air, blow off lenses, use a lens cleaning cloth. Zeiss makes a lens cleaning kit. They also make niffty little field packets, like you get at the gas station or resturant to clean your hands.
My Bino's I put right under the spikot and run water over the lenses and the body. I use the hotel hand towels to clean the outside body areas. I then let them rest on the counter flat so the water and dirt can run to the bottom of lenses. Clean with a q-tip or a corner of that clean t-shirt bearless let behind. Now I use the lens cleaning kit/cloth from Zeiss to get off the film/fingerprints. Do you need a lens pen, I have 2 you can have that were gifts. P.S clean only when dirty, not because think they might be.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

I with you Phil. Works the best every time.

Tim