Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

How to calculate windage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

How to calculate windage?

I was able to find a formula on how to calculate elevation by using an moa reticle, but I am not able to find a formula for calculating windage. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: How to calculate windage?

I'm no expert....but have taken a long range shooting course...Windage is all about the ability to "Read" the wind and estimate its speed. Also having the ability to gauge whether it is full value ( blowing 90 degress from one side to another ), half value, quarter value etc. We were taught to watch heat waves in the distance.. through the scope...assess movement of trees and tall grass etc. At the range...you can put out range flags to read the wind and estimate how fast it is.

If there is a formula...that would be great....but I suspect it's a learned ability to read the environment around you at the time. Also...your windage adjustments will vary just as your elevation does...for every caliber and load. Invest in a quality program to plug your data into....and you'll get quality "Dope" or data that you can use to make your adjustments. I use a program called ExBal....and the thing is scary accurate..as long as the information I plug into is as accurate.

Good Luck,

Wayne
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Here is a good place to start.
Dave

Reading The Wind
Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Reading the wind is one thing, calculating the nessecary windage adjustment is something intirely different IMHO
I read the wind, and let Exball calculate the correction
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

This will increase your knowledge base and if used will help you win if you compete or just hit what you are aiming at. One thing most folks are clueless about is reading Mirage ---- Understand it and the "wind is your friend"...

Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Reading the wind is one thing, calculating the nessecary windage adjustment is something intirely different IMHO
I read the wind, and let Exball calculate the correction

+1 My sentiments exactly!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanks dirtball and BossHoss. I found how to calculate the wind up to 500 yds. but couldn't find the range factors from 600 to 1000 yds. But I just came up with another question. Coming up with the elevation range factor, a shooter can use the factor of 5.5 for 550 yds. Can I use 7.5 range factor in the formula for 750 yds. in the windage equation? Or does it have to be 7.0?