close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

How bad is bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: How bad is bad?

Put a scope that you trust to hold zero and track correctly on the rifle. If it continues to hold zero. You know it was a scope issue. If it does the same thing your old scope did. You know you have a gun issue.
    Unread 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
    Put a scope that you trust to hold zero and track correctly on the rifle. If it continues to hold zero. You know it was a scope issue. If it does the same thing your old scope did. You know you have a gun issue.
    Well, I know the scope already failed to hold zero. I also know that after dropping 5" of elevation when it failed to hold zero, it went up 6" after 20 clicks of a 1/4 MOA adjuster. I know I have a scope problem.

My only question is whether or not this could be evidence of the scope having been part of a consistency problem on my rifle. The rifle is new, the scope is second hand. The new rifle has been inconsistent compared to same shooter on a rifle that isn't as good. Question: should I now be questioning the scope? This scope was never intended for this rifle in the first place, the scope is being replaced anyway.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:22 AM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gih View Post
    The new rifle has been inconsistent compared to same shooter on a rifle that isn't as good.

Your scope is doing just what mine was doing. When I realized it was the problem, (same symptoms on 2 different rifles,) I took it off and never looked back.

Take the scope off and shoot the rifle with iron sights and see how well it does. I am sure you are more accurate with it than 5MOA with iron sights; if it drops the 5 MOA then you, (either need more practice,) or know the rifle is junk.

I have never seen a rifle shoot that bad, I would think the rifle is ok.