Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

horusvision scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Re: horusvision scope

I should stay out of this… However, here are my two cents. I know of a sixty + year old man who lives in South Texas and competes at many of the Rifles Only Sniper match’s. When it comes to the speed drills; that is shooting from 100 to 1000 yards using holdovers, he uses a Night Force 3.5 – 15 X 50 with I believe the NP-R2 reticle. No one beats him.

A mil-dot reticle is a mil-dot reticle. It can look like a FLY SWATER or an uncluttered mil dot reticle… With Ballistic Targeting Software such as Night Force / Exbal, you can know your holds for your current in the field weather system, and with that information, the Voodoo is history. If your Target is at Six hundred yards, and you are shooting a .300 win mag, then hold on 3.9 mils. 700? Hold on 4.3 mils. Or, do you feel like a little more precision? If you own a NF MLR, with the turret values in .1 mils per click, click up 3 clicks and hold on mil mark 4 for the target at 700. It is Shooting made Simple.

Another thing, this same man was driving home after having a conversation with the President of NF USA. The President of NF USA told him that the NF scopes were practically indestructible. He turned to his friend in the car and said, lets find out. He pulled over, removed the NF scope from his rifle, and pulled back onto the road. Somewhere around 50 MPH (I Believe 50 mph) he tossed the NF NXS out the window. They both watched as the scope tumbled down the road, end over end behind them. When they returned home, the scope was re-mounted onto the weapon and fired. The Zero had not changed and the scope continued to work just as it was suppose to.

I heard this story from the passenger of the vehicle. He is a friend of mine.

Unread 11-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your comments. You see this is so critical for me because I am going to have my first long range hunting rifle built and I want to be able to choice the right scope for the job the first time. It lookis like I am ging to go with the Night Forse5.5x22x50 or 5.5x22x56? So thanks a million guys. I love this forum! Ihave learned so much this last year and half. Now I am going to the "long range hunting" equipment
Unread 11-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Bronze Member

Evening All

I believe the general is right, my own personal use of the NF 3.5 X 15 50, has been very limited but. A Marine Sniper I kick around with has his on a 338 edge, we ran around all day on wheelers busting alders moose hunting here in Alaska. The rifle rode in the caring straps on the front rack all day. I think we put on 68 miles that day, at days end Larry was giving Bass a hard time about hitting a rock about 600 yds up the side of a mountain at about 40 degrees. Bass blasted the thing twice. The only thing we did to the rifle before we shot was pull the bolt to make sure their was no twigs in it.

Brian Anchorage, Alaska
Unread 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Easy does it McCall, Thank you for the compliment however, I am Not a General... I am Not a General... I am Not A General... I Was an E Nothing once upon a time though... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]