Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Horus Vision "Predator" Reticle "Dots"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Horus Vision "Predator" Reticle "Dots"

Hello Members

New guy here. I just received a Horus Vision "Predator" scope. It being the Shot Show weekend I can't contact anyone concerning this question. This scope has a H70 reticle for anyone familar with it. My question is, the dots in this reticle are "extremely small", I mean so small that I didn't noticed them at first. Is this normal? Or is this a defective reticle? Does anyone have any real first hand experience with this scope and reticle? I will contact the dealer and company concerning this question, but until then.

Thanks, Walt K
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: Horus Vision "Predator" Reticle "Dots"

Walt, Most true "varmint" reticules keep the cross hairs fine and the dots small so's not to completely cover the critter you're shootin' at way fer out there. The Horus is no exception. Check this out: Horus Vision : System 5
Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Walt,

This is a stupid question, but, can you see the reticle better at full power?

Steve

PS Question not meant as an insult.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Gentlemen

Thank you for your replies.
First, I realize that you would want the crosshairs and dots, very fine and small. The lines are OK, but the dots are the size of specks of small dust compared to the lines. I assure you my reticle looks nothing like the picture of the reticle on the website. And to answer Rocky, this is at full power, 28x. I am trying to contact the dealer and company today. I'm very disappointed with this reticle if it is correct and normal. At best it is misleading, at worse it is a complete falsehood as pictured on the website. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks, Walt K
Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM

I have the same scope. Yes the dots are very small, I believe they're really on there as a marker of odd holdovers, such as an in between elevation mark and windage correction. They are not nearly as pronounced as on the sample picture on the site.

That being said don't dispair, I took my 204 with this scope pdogging last year and didn't find it to be an issue. I nailed one at 566 using a chart and the holdovers. Where the dots are placed you will essentially get the same hold by bracketing between the elevation lines. If they made the dots bigger I think it may actually be tougher to use because so much would be obscured.

You can do stupidly accurate things with this reticle.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Hello Glocksig

Thank you for your reply and help.
I finally got some answers concerning the dot(s) size. Yes, the reticle is correct, not defective. The dots are extremely small, too small in my opinion. Mounted the scope on a Sav., .22-250. Shot it at 200 yards. The glass appears to be good (I'm far from a expert on glass), the scope tracks very well. I would prefer the lines to be thinner and the dots bigger. It will be interesting to use it in a real world appilcation (hopefully PD shooting). I think it would be outstanding, if it had thinner lines and bigger dots. We shall see.
Walt K
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM

I was thinking of getting one of these. How have you guys liked them? How would they compare to a Leupy vx III or Mark 4 (the glass). thanks in advance.