Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Horus Vision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2003, 07:28 PM

Horus Vision

I am in the market for a new scope for my heavy barrel .260 I have been doing a lot of research on the type of scope that I want. I have it narrowed down to two. a leupold with Gen II mil-dot or the Horus Vision scope with H1 reticle. THere is no doubting the quality of the Leupold. I have used th HV demo and I really like the reticle and how simple it is to use. My question is...is the HV reticle as easy to use in real life applications and how durable of a scope is it. My first scope was a Springfield Armory and I hope never to repeat that mistake. Any input from those who have used this scope is greatly aprreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Horus Vision

I have the Horus and have shot it a lot in the field, but only on rocks and steel plates to date. The reticle works, gives you aiming holdoffs for about any caliber, range and wind condition - tied in with a neat computer program etc. If a person worked somewhat hard at it this system would be doable in the hunting field - takes learning and practice. You won't get onto any rangefinding system without a bunch of practice and more practice.
Fact is a 1200 Leica will tell you in about five seconds how far away most shots will be unless you really want to stretch things, no boogering around with dots, lines formulas or sliderules.
How good the scope will hold up is to be seen - this is a relatively new product vs the proven reliability of Leupold's scope that you are considering. You pays your money and takes your chances - I know that most guys on this board will say go Leupold and don't look back.
Just to complicate your life I would also look at the newly introduced and available Nikon tactical, and maybe for a few more bucks the NXS 3.5-15x50, believe both may be available from www.swfa.com
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:00 PM

I already have a laser range finder. But some of the competitions that I want to shoot have multiple targets at unknown ranges and you can't use a laser range finder. Since I have not beenschooled on the Mil-dot system I don't have old habits that I would need to change if I went with Horus. I really like the Horus feature of not having to worry about counting clicks and remebering to return to zero after each distance shot. It seems like the horus system is much faster at engaging multiple targets at multiple ranges, both known and unknown.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

I am curious as to what problems you had with the Springfield scope- I have one in 6-20x56 Mildot. I fell on mine with all of my 185Lbs and broke through the ice on the stream I was crossing during hunting season and it still shoots good and repeats absolutely perfect! Your insite would be of great value as what not to do to this scope.
I have always been a little rough on equipment-alright real hard on equipment!
Old 04-19-2003, 08:44 AM

H-Bar,
I have a 4-14x 3rd Gen 56mm Scope. I really liked the scope, great light gathering, good ranging system, the drop compensator works for 168 SMK in 100s of meters and 180 SMK in 100s of yards out to 1000yds +/- 4 clicks. However with that said it just doesn't take the pounding that a Leupold scope will. The magnification ring locked up on me at 4X and failed to focus. I took it off the rings and there was an 1/4 inch long screw resting against the glass. The problem is that I didn't have a scope for my rifle when I went out groundhog hunting and had to borrow someone else's It couldn't handle the beating of 300 rounds of 308. I guess it is a great scope for a mild recoil rifle only shot a couple of shots a year. I am not impressed with their durablity. I have learned the hard way that it is far better to wait and save another 100-200$ and get a durable scope than to have a cheaper one that isn't dependable.
There are a number of other people that I have talked with who have had Mechanical failurs with their SA scopes.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:23 AM

H-BAR, I noticed you are from from Newburgh. I'm from Wariwck. Where do you shoot?

I used to shoot in Goshen but they closed. There is a 300 yard range in NJ but nothing farther.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

The Horus is good scope indeed.
The ranging system is tops, especially when coupled with the software thast comes with the scope, and even more so when you get the PDA so you get range, punch a couple keys and get your hold over / hold off in seconds.
The clairity and brightness is that of an NXS in all conditions. The click adjustments are precise and accurate.
So far the ruggedness has been great as well. My business partner is an LEO Sniper and has one on his rifle. He is VERY hard on his weapon systems and has had zero problems.

The last Sniper's challenge in 2002 had very harsh conditions, and was a very hard course. The top gun and two top teams all used Horus scopes.

All & All a very good scope and reticle system for shooting those LR Tac comps.

Celt