Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Horus reticle, Good, Bad, Ugly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Horus reticle, Good, Bad, Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
What kind of shooting are you doing? Paper targets, competition, hunting, etc.? At what range?

I shoot primarily in the hunting aspect, generally in the 300-600 yard range, but depending on game and rifle, and caliber choice, I would shoot much further. I do some targets, I have access to a 1000 yard range about a mile up the hill, and a friend has a range setup with towable targets that I can shoot in excess of 1 mile.

I do a lot of prairie dog shooting at longer ranges, coyotes, you name it. That is with a 22-250 with the Falcon and the H-59 reticle. I also use this gun for antelope and deer as long as I can get a decent head or neck shot.

I have a Savage 110 30-06 that I use for deer and elk. I would have no issues at all at taking an elk or deer at the 800 yd range, and could shoot further, just don't feel that there is enough energy at much longer distances to make a humane kill. IF I owned a 300WM or something along those lines, I would feel much more comfortable taking the longer shots on game. My longest shot last year was a 405 yd head shot on a mule deer.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Do you usually have a spotter or do you spot your own shots? Are you having any difficulty spotting shots at long range (>500 yds) with Horus reticles?

Recently I've been shooting mostly at about 900 yds and find that the reticle can completely obscure the impact unless there is a dust cloud. I have spotter (sometimes two) watching through a conventional scope with no reticle. Granted, sometimes they can't see the impacts either. I miss more impacts than they do, though.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Do you usually have a spotter or do you spot your own shots? Are you having any difficulty spotting shots at long range (>500 yds) with Horus reticles?

Recently I've been shooting mostly at about 900 yds and find that the reticle can completely obscure the impact unless there is a dust cloud. I have spotter (sometimes two) watching through a conventional scope with no reticle. Granted, sometimes they can't see the impacts either. I miss more impacts than they do, though.

I hunt Montana...it's always dusty , lol.....

On occasion I have a spotter when I'm shooting extreme long range, but there are mounds at the 1000yd range that make it easy. Are you shooting a Horus? One nice thing about a Horus, is that if you do see the dust, you can compensate back right off the grid on the scope.

After shooting as long as I have, I can also look for the golden bb at times if the sun is right...
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Yup. HDMR with the H-59. Before that a US Optics SN3 with the H-37 (I think).

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

In talking with one of the guys at Horus the other night, he mentioned they were going to thin the lines down on a few reticle patterns to it wasn't too cluttered. I'll ask him again, and see what they're doing and get back to you, send me a pm with an email and I'll try to get some answers.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Love the HV system, but only have 2 Predators now one of which is on this Picuda 22 that I can reference 600 yds. with. In fact mom just nailed a coffee can at 600 yds. last week using this setup 140 MOA 70 reticle/70 turret (maximized with shimmed Burris Sig. Zee's)--

The other Pred. will be going on an XP-100 17 VHA that's in the works now as a prairie dogger.

IMO, what i'd like to see is a HV reticle in a couple cheaper low-power and higher-power optics that some may use on a low-recoiler like say a 3-9X Nikon ProStaff or maybe the 6-18 Nikon Buckmasters or something similar. Maybe a shorter reticle pattern that goes down to 50 MOA or so--2nd FP. At least then some may get exposed to the HV system without having to put up big bucks before they know what all the hoopla's about.

As a dyed-in-the-wool long-range coyote shooter i'd also like to see the 1-8X Blackbird come back too. Think that'd make for a great 600-800ish predator scope on a lighter carrying rifle--especially an AR platform.

I think they use the same factory that Hakko uses, as my 6-24x Hakko looks a lot like the Predator.