Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Homemade Zerostops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Homemade Zerostops

That is what I DID,washer on mark 4. I did test with just old plastic butter dish lid, but the allen is a better deal, washer has to be exact, and it is hard to get exact shim thickness.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta ask, is there any warranty issues with a homemade "upgrade" with these Leupolds? I like the ideas you guys are sharing and if there isn't an issue then I would consider doing it myself. Maybe even asking my Commander if I can alter our issued Leupolds.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Don't know. Mine came that way from kenton industries. One should always be VERY gentile when turning turrets at either end of their range because the threads are very fine and can easily be streched if forced.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Good idea, I just made a zero stop for my mark 4, I got lucky and found a washer that was just right after I pounded it and redrilled center for post. Guestion, my vari 3 does'nt seem to climb the post as you dial up? How would you zero stop that set up?
sp6x6,

How many pounds with what size of hammer.

I tried the ring around the bottom but couldn't get it to feel firm and was always a click or two off of zero one way or another.......

On my zeiss the ring will be better than a 1/16" thick.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

I did what Paphil suggested at work. I'll post a pic when I get home. I have one concern, the setscrew is steel and the base that it seats against is brass. I think I'll make a set screw out of nylon so it doesn't gouge into the brass. Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
That is what I DID,washer on mark 4. I did test with just old plastic butter dish lid, but the allen is a better deal, washer has to be exact, and it is hard to get exact shim thickness.
Which brings up another idea. I read what you said about using a washer and I thought "meh". But I can cut a washer off some brass round stock with a parting tool to any thickness I want. Maybe I'll fiddle with that idea on my other scopes. It will probably give a better feel when it bottoms out at zero. Hhhmmmmm.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
Which brings up another idea. I read what you said about using a washer and I thought "meh". But I can cut a washer off some brass round stock with a parting tool to any thickness I want. Maybe I'll fiddle with that idea on my other scopes. It will probably give a better feel when it bottoms out at zero. Hhhmmmmm.

There ya go! My original attempt was sawing off a old unused aluminum camera tripod leg that happened to be the correct diameter. Then ground it to size on a belt sander then a diamond stone. Very difficult to get precisely parallel edged plus kind of hot on fingers.

If machined correctly, reamed, outside turned and reamed to close tolerances then cut to the precise thickness, I don't see a need for set screws, at least on my Ziess (don't know about the NXS).

Thus there should be no warranty issues.

LR, we'll let you take the lead on this one. I don't know if its cost effective but project like this are very satisfying.