Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Holding over compared to dialing in MOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 09:55 AM

Re: Holding over compared to dialing in MOA

Wow!
Brent that was some pretty intense stuff.
Very interesting but way out of my ballpark.
You are in a whole different world than someone like me who is math challenged and the holdover system is the only way to go.

You can probably do all that quickly in your head in the field.
I have to imagine there is no way I could use that system other than to carry some type of computer in the field to do the figuring for me.
My system is I get the range (lazer rangefinder or mildot) place the animal in the correct spot on the holdover bracket and check the wind pick a spot and squeeze her off.
Of course my limit on big game is 600 yards, and have only actually shot animals at 500 yards.
I can see where it becomes MUCH tougher at longer ranges where the lines in the holdover bracket get further apart.
Appreciate you taking the time to present such a thorough explanation.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Ward
Just figured it out! (I'm a little slow)
I sent a check for the Black lefthanded ACI
good to know your here.

CAM
Old 02-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Ward, can you post a photo of the ACI you are producing now ? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:00 PM

This is an image of the ACI mounted with a Badger Ordnance Mount.

[ 02-04-2004: Message edited by: W ]
Old 02-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Ward,
I'd pay you a special order price to make me up one with the correction factor numbers instead of the cosine numbers. You can still count up to it from the zero to determine the angle number it corralates to bacause they numbers are in 5 degree increments. Knowing this formula is the most accurate method, I'd think it would be an asset to have this ACI model available too.

I can use the angle or cosine numbers either one in Exbal. The only time I'd be using this formula is if my batteries or Palm failed me in the field, and then I'd be using the small spare calculator in the pocket with it, it wouldn't be done in my head. Back up, ya know [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Usually you'll have plenty of time to run any calculations if an animal is out at LR unaware of your presence, but the shorter you can keep the calculation time, the better.

A 1 to 1 slope, or 45 deg angle is pretty damn steep, and most shots are indeed under this angle by quite a ways, but if range is very far using the other methods, you're back in the same boat again, the other two formulas simply aren't accurate enough to use with confidence. Material (gravel and dirt) will naturally roll off at 30-40 deg, or 1 1/2 to 1 slope, depending on the amount, and type of fines in it to bind it, so 45 degrees is quite steep.

Sheep and Goat hunters enter quite another area, and LR shots can easily exceed 45 deg or more. Reminds me of a Sheep that Brian, a friend of mine got up near off the Dalton Hwy with his bow. Shot it up through the throat from directly below at 20 yards as he poked his head over the cliff, pretty near 90 deg shot! The Sheep ran around to the side down to the bench he was on and "jumped" right off the friggin cliff!! Suicidel them things can be.

Sorry for the book there guys, it was really meant to explain a couple things for the guys just getting into this stuff and try to answer some of the questions that might follow what could have been a little too unclear brief explanation.

Here's a must read for you precision angle shooters looking for that next long range 1 shot 1 kill -

Angle Shooting Technical Article - 3 Methods Evaluated
Old 02-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Writers Guild

Brent, you need to get out of the house and start shooting again. You have way too much time at the key board. wow, how's that for info.

With all the variables that go on after the primer pops, I will go with the DC sighter method. Being able to adjust and getting one shot hits would be a dream but I would be too excited to do the math anyways.

There is a calming effect to a loud bang, shoulder thump, and seeing a puff somewhere 3 secs away.

Hope it warms up for you soon...

Jerry
Old 02-04-2004, 07:47 PM

Brent:

Man your mind really is firing! If you want me to, I will be happy to accommodate you, but you will have to email me the specifics AND THEN IT HAS TO BE DOABLE. TO CHANGE THE PRINTING, RE-SETUP, DRIVE MY GUYS CRAZY WITH NEW SPECS ETC… FOR ONE LENS, IS GOING TO COST YOU.

But hey, its’ for you.

Then we have to work on getting you a girlfriend…