Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

highest quality, lightest weight binocs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

highest quality, lightest weight binocs?

What are the opinions out there on the highest quality, lightest weight binoculars? Probably looking at 10X, but open to suggestions. Low light transmission will be one of the biggest determining factors, of course. Not worried about cost at the moment--just trying to find out what's out there.

Thank you.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: highest quality, lightest weight binocs?

Best light binos price being no object:

Swarovski EL, Leica ultravid. In that order.

You can get 8x32 or 10x32 EL's that weigh about 21 ounces. The 10x42 ELs are about 27.5 ounces. The clarity of these binos coupled with the LARGE FOV makes them near unbeatable.

Good luck!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:36 PM

I would agree with Meichele too, I have had the Zeiss (10x40's) and now own the Leica 10x50. The Leica model is not light compared to others of the same quality, but this model is not on market and has been replaced by a lighter one.

I also have packed the Geovid's for many years and any other bino will seem like a feather when carrying them.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

jmden, I have the 10X42 EL for doing a lot of spotting. When I'm walking, I carry a 8X30 SLC. Swarovski is hard to beat overall, especially when you add the doubler to your formula. The new SLC line is excellent, so you need to compare to the EL line. If I only had one binoc to do all, I would probably look at the 8.5X32 EL with a doubler. Still light weight, excellent view, and very versatile. Just my thoughts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

A couple other selling points about the EL binos. Swarovski makes a bunch of awesome accessories to better use these awesome optics such as a tripod adapter, and cupped eye cups. Either or both eye cups can be unscrewed and a doubler lense can be screwed into one or both eye peices. The outdoorsmans in Phx makes several cool tripod adapters as well that work on EL's as well as SLC's. They also make one that clamps around either barrel. The lense covers both upper and lower are of good quality and very effective, which to me is important. I believe the best way to clean expensive lenses is to keep the clean in the first place. I paid almost 1800 bucks for my EL's and dont care to scratch my lenses. Swarovski also has INCREADIBLE customer care. If there ever is a problem they will take care of it. They also replace glass that gets scratched over the years for a very affordable price. If you are on a hunt or have one coming up and need your product serviced, they will send you a "loner" pair of whatever you have. For me, their prices arent that bad when you look at what you are getting in return.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Bronze Member

warovski EL without question. I have owned/used them all.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

EL's, Zeiss and Leica are all good - what is best for one guy is not the choice of another tho. I would look at the top line Nikons, they are right up there with these guys and usually more reasonably priced. I while back I carried all four and loaned them to a lot of hunters, Nikon kicked butt. All four companies have concentrated on lighter binocs with their best possible optics. There is no clear leader, despite the amount of advertising $ spent to make us think there is. Your eyes are different than mine which are different than my son's. Your eyes will make the determination, not what we tell you. Totally agree with Michael, spend the money on the best possible and you will never regret doing so.
If possible compare models in the poorest, dimmest light available. Look into shadows for instance. Tough to do but not impossible in a big store like Cabela's or Bass Pro.