Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

I have owned the SWFA SS, and currently own the bushnell elite 3200 MIL/MIL. I love both of them. I, however also own a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 and will say that I love that even more. Granted it cost 4 times as much as the 3200.

Savage 10 PC in .308 with accustock, accutrigger, and bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 mil-dot scope.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Bronze Member

The Bushnell 3200's and 4200's are known to be more dependable than the Leupold VXIII's by many day-in-day-out hard kicking rifle users. Do a search and you will find African PH's that keep them on spare rifles for clients because the Leupolds fail more often than the Bushnells in their shooting conditions.

How's that for a can of worms!

What do I have on my rigs? All Leupolds; VXIII 4.5x14x50 on 22-250 , VXIII 4.5x14x40 on 300WBY and M8 2X EER on 454 Cassull revolver....why, you may ask after my opening statement. Because they were at a return goods auction and I got them for $40, $30 and $20 respectively. They each had a defect of some kind and I knew the guys in Beaver Oregon would back their products...and they did. They are perfect now and never an issue for 15 years of moderate use.

Would I go out and buy them new today? Maybe, but probably would look seriously at 3200's and 4200's first. Would I use a Tasco, Redfield, etc? You bet I would and did as a teen through early married years. Did I have any issues?....narry a one other than fogging in the early low low end models that weren't advertised as fog proof.

I see no need to knock anyone that feels comfortable or needs to keep within a budget for ANY reason. I am just glad to see that people are getting out there and supporting the shooting and hunting sports. As long as your doing it in a SAFE manner, I am all for it.

GOOD SHOOTIN' TO ALL!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

I just spent $400 on a vortex viper, so much for low cost..then again a lot of ppl on here still consider a $400 scope cheap...it is by far the clearest scope I've ever looked through, can't wait to get my rings for it and see how it works on my wsm.....
Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Cheap is a relative term that directly relates to the amount of wherewithall in you wallet or checking account at a given time.......

My last purchased optic, the Vortex PST 4.5-18x50 SF was a radical departure for me, especially in price. Normally, I expect to pay at least the price of a firearm for an optic and sometimes twice the price so the Vortex for me was a very cheap scope.......

There are cheaper optics out there, much cheaper in fact. My take is at some point (don't know what that point is however) cheap directly equates to substantially lowered levels of performance.....

We shall see how it pans out. It 'appears' as clear as my Leupy's. I'm not a big fan of naked turrets bit they 'feel' precise. Will they hold a setting when the firearm is shouldered being carried in the woods.... only time and experience will tell. My other concern is if it will withstand repeated and heavy recoil without the erection system going south. Again, time will tell.

Contrary to some comments on here, I've never had an issue with a Leupold and recoil but I wanted to try some uncharted (for me) territory. Besides, at the time my 'wherewithall' was limited.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

Mines the pa series and its got caps for when I want em covered
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

I am seeing 3 camps here, and am going to side with ScotE - the rational one.

However, if this were "run-of-the-mill hunting forum", I would be all in with what savageman is pushing. I think you are taking it to an extreme in place where some really need what others push at the other extreme. Although, I think there are many of us "posers" here among them that do not hunt at long ranges. And that other extreme- buy the best always for everything- often do not take application into consideration when they offer that advice.

I have a bunch of $50 scopes that I use, and I would not hesitate to take them into my hunting situation and know they will work fine. I typically do not use them and usually outfit my hunting rifle for the year with a $150 scope and it has NEVER failed me. Even WHEN - according to that camp - it does fail at the moment of the once in a lifetime opportunity, I will not worry myself to death for the rest of my life over it. My hunting is 99% fun, 1% kill.

I pick my battles when it comes to "buying the best at all costs" for everything in my life. I have been blessed in my career and have more means than I deserve perhaps, and still do not hesitate buying low cost tools, toys, things, etc if I know I will not be using them seriously and I belive they will perform to my realistic needs. If it makes me happy having the nicer more prestigous option, I go for it. In the end, I have more things collecting dust from lack of use or replaced by the newer model, than things I really want to keep using and broke. Resale value is nothing to me because I hate the process of selling things.

Its just the way I do it, and no one is going to change me, I am happy with what I have and how I got it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Bronze Member

My hunting rifle 3 years ago wore an old tasco 3-9 that my grandpa used the whole time he used the rife before he gave it to me. 2 years ago, after not being able to see through my scope in dim light when a decent buck was in front of me, I switched to a simmons 44 mag, which was much better. After this season, I decided to upgrade again, this time by a much farther margin. I purchased a more accurate rifle, and more importantly, I bought a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 scope. It serves all my needs from close range hunting to long range hunting and shooting. It cost a lot of money, but it is useful for every situation that I see myself getting into. Would I like an even better scope? Yes. But do I need anything better? NO! I also have a 3200 fixed 10 power, as I already stated, but it is useless as a hunting scope in 90% of situations I find myself in.

Savage 10 PC in .308 with accustock, accutrigger, and bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 mil-dot scope.