Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post
Quote,Benchracer...No matter how you slice it, a $99 Tasco is NOT a long range instrument. It can get a person started and be a platform for learning, but it won't get you there. It is a first step. That is not snobbery, it is physical and economic fact.

As for the comment about Tasco, this is not quite right Because they do have Over 90 MOA of Adjustment, add to that A 20moa Base and you have a heck of alot of lift Add to that A .270 win or any other flat shooter you are going to be getting your self ready to start shooting long Range, Then you might need to start getting into the Hi end gear, The Tasco 2.5-10x42 has the 90moa Which makes it a good all purpose scope and an Ideal scope to use as a Stepping Stone for when you are ready to upgrade ready to shoot Long Range,

John
I think we agree on this more than it might appear at first blush. You hit the nail on the head when you referred to the Tasco as an ideal scope to use as a stepping stone. I believe this applies to low end scopes in general and quite a few of the mid-range offerings.

Both of the low end scopes I cited as being good values would fall into the same category as the Tasco, in my thinking. Most of the time I mention the BSA, I get a lot of grief in much the same way that grief is being given over the Tasco.

We may differ, however, on what we feel a "stepping stone" scope is for. IMO, any given tool should be matched to its intended purpose and understood with respect to its limitations. A "stepping stone" scope is fine for a rimfire rifle or a varmint rifle in an appliation where you are punching paper or popping varmints or even predators. The shooting is not particularly demanding and the consequences of failure are very mild. A "stepping stone" scope is useful to get trigger time and learn about bullet drop, doping the wind, and marksmanship fundamentals.

I wouldn't trust either the Tasco or the BSA on top of a big game rifle. The Simmons I mentioned I think would be OK on a rifle up to .308 level recoil at normal hunting ranges. You might be able to get away with the Tasco or the BSA at woods ranges from a treestand in the southeast, but neither one of them are legit LONG RANGE scopes for big game.

It costs a certain amount of money to build something from materials of sufficient quality to be repeatable, reliable, and robust and to do so with anything approaching consistent quality control. Add in the fact that there still needs to be some room for profit and, even at Chinese slave labor prices, there is no way that you are getting a quality optical instrument for $100, let alone a legitimate LONG RANGE rifle scope. Anyone makng claims to the contrary is living in fantasy land.

I am always open to being proven wrong. It might be interesting to campaign one of the aforementioned Tasco scopes on top of a .308 for a season of F-T/R matches. It might be even more interesting to do one of each on a .223 and a .308 and report your results.

Any takers?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Price point versus quality.... Last fall we were in NM for a Mulie hunt and one of our trio had a pair of EL Swaro bino's. I had my cheap Tasco's. Looking through the Swaro's and the Trashco's I could see no difference in view or clarity of image. I did see a vast difference in price.

I'll keep the cheap pair. If I accidently loose them over a cliff or they bounce off some rocks, I'm not out that much.

Now, will someone give me an S&B?
As I have said before I do have a great Tasco Worls Class spotting scope which cost me about $300 16 years ago, Back then Tasco also made Many differant products under the Banner of the world Class Series which made it hard to work out which was their Prime 1st Class Gear Anyway I wanted a pair of Binoculars with the compass and range finding Reticle in them, And Of coarse I did'nt know that the army ones were made by Steiner So The camera shop looked them up for me and I Ordered them and what I got was a Pair of of Tasco World Class OffShore 54s and they cost about $650 which was pretty expensive back then, You can get them for half that now And I see that everyone who is NO ONE has coppied them, But I wil say that the Quality of them is As Good or Better as NF,Swaro or Zeiss and when I compared them to the Steiner 7x50 they have Better lenses Brightness and the clarity, So Far no one has made anything better, Equal to Yes but not better and the only drawback with them is like the 7x50 steiners is the weight and size, And the only thing That I dont like them is they have bright Red Ruby Lenses,

Tasco do have high Quality Items just Like Leupold or Vortex etc ect which I hold in high reguard, But 95% of People don't even know what to ask for and if you go to their web site you wont find them unless you do a google search for them, there are 3 differant models in the Offshore Range and I think that the newer Ones dont have RED Lenses,lol.

I can under stand people thinking and saying Tasco are junk compared to NF, Swaro etc etc etc, But they are only judging there Lower Range Products.

John

Last edited by mildot1960; 05-11-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
I think we agree on this more than it might appear at first blush. You hit the nail on the head when you referred to the Tasco as an ideal scope to use as a stepping stone. I believe this applies to low end scopes in general and quite a few of the mid-range offerings.

Both of the low end scopes I cited as being good values would fall into the same category as the Tasco, in my thinking. Most of the time I mention the BSA, I get a lot of grief in much the same way that grief is being given over the Tasco.

We may differ, however, on what we feel a "stepping stone" scope is for. IMO, any given tool should be matched to its intended purpose and understood with respect to its limitations. A "stepping stone" scope is fine for a rimfire rifle or a varmint rifle in an appliation where you are punching paper or popping varmints or even predators. The shooting is not particularly demanding and the consequences of failure are very mild. A "stepping stone" scope is useful to get trigger time and learn about bullet drop, doping the wind, and marksmanship fundamentals.

I wouldn't trust either the Tasco or the BSA on top of a big game rifle. The Simmons I mentioned I think would be OK on a rifle up to .308 level recoil at normal hunting ranges. You might be able to get away with the Tasco or the BSA at woods ranges from a treestand in the southeast, but neither one of them are legit LONG RANGE scopes for big game.

It costs a certain amount of money to build something from materials of sufficient quality to be repeatable, reliable, and robust and to do so with anything approaching consistent quality control. Add in the fact that there still needs to be some room for profit and, even at Chinese slave labor prices, there is no way that you are getting a quality optical instrument for $100, let alone a legitimate LONG RANGE rifle scope. Anyone makng claims to the contrary is living in fantasy land.

I am always open to being proven wrong. It might be interesting to campaign one of the aforementioned Tasco scopes on top of a .308 for a season of F-T/R matches. It might be even more interesting to do one of each on a .223 and a .308 and report your results.

Any takers?
Sorry I missed your/This post,

Yes these lower priced scopes are Great for all round hunting and to use as stepping stones, Its a good point you put up about being able to use them for working on bullet drop etc (a bit like a Training Rifle) and the knowledge from that would go along way to atleased giving a person an Idea what to expect when trying to reach your Target distance's,

Back years ago I put a Tasco 3-9x40 (The Silver version) on a .223 Ruger 77mkII all-weather Stainless (the one with the hollowed out stock sides) and it was so very accurite, it was great for shooting Roo's and Hogs and it was great at the range too, It shot very tight groups at 200yds which is pretty rare for normal hunting Rifles using factory ammo,

As for what you say about Trusting them on top a big Game Rifle I dont have the Answers for that because the Biggest that I have put them on is a 30-06.

John
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think Vortex is all that hot as far as bino's and spotting scopes. I like their rifle scopes, I have 4 at least count but I've looked through their spotters and bino's and price wise, I'll keep my Tasco's. I too have an ancient Tasco spotter thats been through thick and thin and it's still very clear though the case is looking a bit worn.

I guess for off rifle, I'll keep the Tasco's.

I did buy a late model Tasco red dot and it lasted for 4 rounds through my 44 smith and the ocular shattered. The only optic thats ever held up to the recoil is a Japanese Bushnell pistol scope (that you can't get anymore).
Old 05-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I don't think Vortex is all that hot as far as bino's and spotting scopes. I like their rifle scopes, I have 4 at least count but I've looked through their spotters and bino's and price wise, I'll keep my Tasco's. I too have an ancient Tasco spotter thats been through thick and thin and it's still very clear though the case is looking a bit worn.

I guess for off rifle, I'll keep the Tasco's.

I did buy a late model Tasco red dot and it lasted for 4 rounds through my 44 smith and the ocular shattered. The only optic thats ever held up to the recoil is a Japanese Bushnell pistol scope (that you can't get anymore).
Does your spotter have the ridges along the lenth of it??

So far their new spotters have a 50/50 split for and against,

That scope your 44 killed is another reason why we have a tough time getting people to agree about the Tasco as a brand, seems like most of their rifle scopes work ok and there older stuff stands the test of time, They seem to try and make everything and thats their downfall instead of staying with what they know best and perfecting just their Rifle and spotting scopes,

John
Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post
Does your spotter have the ridges along the lenth of it??

So far their new spotters have a 50/50 split for and against,

That scope your 44 killed is another reason why we have a tough time getting people to agree about the Tasco as a brand, seems like most of their rifle scopes work ok and there older stuff stands the test of time, They seem to try and make everything and thats their downfall instead of staying with what they know best and perfecting just their Rifle and spotting scopes,

John
Sure does. I dropped it last year and broke the eyepiece extension so I made a new one from Acetal. Had a hell of a time gaging the threads. Turns out they are diametrical pitch, no issue, I can cut those. The original was hard plastic that got harder over the years. It was a birthday present to me from my late mom so it's a keeper.

The guy I work for has a Ruger Number 1 in 300 WBY Magnum and it has the old school Tasco 1" tube with a whopper of an objective. I looked threough it onece and it's clear as a bell too.

At least the Tasco on the 44 was cheap so it didn't break my heart. I took it back to Cabelas and got a refund.

Word to the wise.... Anytime you buy anything at Cabelas (in store), make sure the box is sealed and hasn't been opened in less it's in front of you.

I had a good friend and hunting partner buy a Nikon over the counter, last one they had and it turned out the erector sysrem was no good. They took it back but he lives 100 miles from the store so it was a hassle.

I almost believe they put returns out for sale. IMO, it was not an accident.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sure does. I dropped it last year and broke the eyepiece extension so I made a new one from Acetal. Had a hell of a time gaging the threads. Turns out they are diametrical pitch, no issue, I can cut those. The original was hard plastic that got harder over the years. It was a birthday present to me from my late mom so it's a keeper.

The guy I work for has a Ruger Number 1 in 300 WBY Magnum and it has the old school Tasco 1" tube with a whopper of an objective. I looked threough it onece and it's clear as a bell too.

At least the Tasco on the 44 was cheap so it didn't break my heart. I took it back to Cabelas and got a refund.

Word to the wise.... Anytime you buy anything at Cabelas (in store), make sure the box is sealed and hasn't been opened in less it's in front of you.

I had a good friend and hunting partner buy a Nikon over the counter, last one they had and it turned out the erector sysrem was no good. They took it back but he lives 100 miles from the store so it was a hassle.

I almost believe they put returns out for sale. IMO, it was not an accident.
IT must be one tough scope to stand up to that 300 wby Mag and a good advert for Tasco.

Yep, you should hang on to things from special People,

John