Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote,Benchracer...No matter how you slice it, a $99 Tasco is NOT a long range instrument. It can get a person started and be a platform for learning, but it won't get you there. It is a first step. That is not snobbery, it is physical and economic fact.

Well I would Agree with you on the steiners they are very good indeed, I have the 7x30 Navigator and they are very surprizing and although they are Dark Blue in color I doubt if theres much differance in Quality to the Green Military versions,

As for the comment about Tasco, this is not quite right Because they do have Over 90 MOA of Adjustment, add to that A 20moa Base and you have a heck of alot of lift Add to that A .270 win or any other flat shooter you are going to be getting your self ready to start shooting long Range, Then you might need to start getting into the Hi end gear, The Tasco 2.5-10x42 has the 90moa Which makes it a good all purpose scope and an Ideal scope to use as a Stepping Stone for when you are ready to upgrade ready to shoot Long Range,

You have some great Deals in your list, there is more reasonable gear than I thought, You seem to like the Nikon's are they that good???

John
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

I used to consider the Leupold VX III as the beginning of scopes for serious use. The Nikon scopes have taken that role for me now. I think they are a better value for the money. I feel that you don't get as much scope for the money with a Leupold as you used to.

I am not saying that the Nikons are the be-all end-all. I do think that they are an excellent "bang for the buck" value. I REALLY like my Zeiss Conquests, but at more than twice the price they really don't offer a discernible advantage over the Nikons. They have GREAT glass and they are sweet to use, but that's it.

I have shot my Nikon, Zeiss, and SWFA scopes out to 600 yards so far. The Nikon does just as well as the other two. It is less than half the price of my Zeiss scopes. It was about the same price as my SWFA, but I got variable power and more magnification out of the deal. With a 20 MOA base, it should be able to take my Swede to 1000 yards and change.

The SWFA is a very good scope as well, but the fixed power kind of limits its utility. A variable from them is double the cost, but would enable me to play the ELR game. That will probably be my new baseline when I outgrow the Nikons.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

I'm having Trouble finding the SWFA scopes over here (UK) but when I get back home I will have a good look at them seems theres quite alot of people who like them but not many folks talk about them, Arn't they the SS scopes that have been posted on here??

John
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50

I paid $99 for mine. This scope is big and heavy and has to be mounted pretty high. At the top end of the magnification range, eye relief gets critical and resolution degrades. The absence of turret adjustments is a minus. Still, it can be had with a Mil-dot reticle, has precise and repeatable adjustments, and is provides surprisingly clear images through most of its magnification range. This is a clear, robust scope. It has its weaknesses, but it is a very good scope for the money. I had mine mounted on a varmint rifle. It was a good scope for that purpose. I believe it would have worked just as well on a .308 or 30-06. When I replaced it with the BSA, I gave it to a friend of a friend. He mounted it on his .22 and loves it!

My other scopes include a Meopta, a Kahles, and a couple of Zeiss Conquests with Rapid-Z reticles. They are all superior optical instruments and a joy to use, but they offer very little practical advantage over the Nikons on my other rifles.
I have one of the Simmons Aetec Whitetail 6.5-20x50's with the Mil-Dot, and paid $124.99 @ Midway last year. It has been an excellent scope on my .17 HMR for shooting squirrels and varmints, and it is an excellent scope for the money. Yes, like you pointed out, I have noticed the same flaws in mine. I have 2 older Simmons Aetec Whitetail Expedition scopes 4-12x42's, and they have been going strong for 15 years, as well. One of them was on my old tang-safety Ruger 77 skeleton/stainless 7mm RemMag and it finally shook it enough to knock the reticles around... The scope works great on my other .17 HMR, but I had to put something heavier duty on the Ruger, so I swapped on my Nitrex TR One 3.5-10x50 on it and so far, so good. The Nitrex was an excellent scope on my 7mmSTW for a couple years and handled that recoil fine. That little Ruger 7Mag is so lightweight (scope and all weighs near 6.5 lbs) and is LIGHT. Recoil is pretty nasty, but doesn't bother me since i've been shooting it for all these years.

What model Kahles do you have? I have a Helia KX, and it is phenomenal! It sits atop my Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag as my main whitetail hunting combo.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post
Quote,Benchracer...No matter how you slice it, a $99 Tasco is NOT a long range instrument. It can get a person started and be a platform for learning, but it won't get you there. It is a first step. That is not snobbery, it is physical and economic fact.

Well I would Agree with you on the steiners they are very good indeed, I have the 7x30 Navigator and they are very surprizing and although they are Dark Blue in color I doubt if theres much differance in Quality to the Green Military versions,

As for the comment about Tasco, this is not quite right Because they do have Over 90 MOA of Adjustment, add to that A 20moa Base and you have a heck of alot of lift Add to that A .270 win or any other flat shooter you are going to be getting your self ready to start shooting long Range, Then you might need to start getting into the Hi end gear, The Tasco 2.5-10x42 has the 90moa Which makes it a good all purpose scope and an Ideal scope to use as a Stepping Stone for when you are ready to upgrade ready to shoot Long Range,

You have some great Deals in your list, there is more reasonable gear than I thought, You seem to like the Nikon's are they that good???

John
I agree. I've dropped whitetails at 400 yards with my 7mm-08 and Tasco World Class 3-9x50 combo on several occasions.

Granted, it is not a high-dollar scope, but it CAN be used for longer range shots if need-be.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Price point versus quality.... Last fall we were in NM for a Mulie hunt and one of our trio had a pair of EL Swaro bino's. I had my cheap Tasco's. Looking through the Swaro's and the Trashco's I could see no difference in view or clarity of image. I did see a vast difference in price.

I'll keep the cheap pair. If I accidently loose them over a cliff or they bounce off some rocks, I'm not out that much.

Now, will someone give me an S&B?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
What model Kahles do you have? I have a Helia KX, and it is phenomenal! It sits atop my Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag as my main whitetail hunting combo.
The Kahles I have is a Helia KX 3-9x42. I think it is optically an excellent scope and of high build quality. I originally bought it to put atop a Ruger #1A in 7x57. My plan for the Ruger was (and still is) to use it as my light rifle in Africa. That's why I spent the money to put high quality glass on it.

The Kahles now resides on top of my son's .243. I am hoping that we will be able to hunt together this fall and get him his first deer, with a bit of luck. He loves the rifle and scope. Being a kid, he has no idea what he really has. He just knows that he likes it.