Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Try dropping a zeroed rifle with a tasco mounted on top.I promise you will cringe That is why we buy high dollar scopes. I get why you would want to go cheaper but they are just not the same in any aspect.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Savageman69(Quote) And here we are again we have gone full circle for the 50th time, and we are back at square one. What out there is the best quality for the lowest price, for guys like me on a budget? Any suggestions?

Well Mate Its seems that some folks want to talk about Hi end gear On a Thread thats about Hi Value Low Cost Items, Thats fair enough too, But Im not interested on hearing about Hi cost gear On this thread just like Im dont want to hear about next doors cat with a bad attack of the Gastric and craping everywhere it goes, Hi end gear Is not what this is about, neither is the Cat with the runs doing the Ho chi min Two Step,

For heavens sake We All Know how wonderful that Gear is everytime we log on here by the Flashing adverts all over the pages, I dont give a rats ***** weather if anyone wont Put Tasco on their Hand built Mag Rifle,

This Thread is about help others by finding them the best deal and getting them on the firing line,

Croney $100 Kestrel 2500NV $160 scope 100-500, Rifle $400/$800, Spotting scope 2/300 Max, Best ammo you can afford till you learn to reload, Range fees $$?? ==== FUN

And Bugger the rest, Just get out there and enjoy ya selves,

John
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

I have a Tasco World Class on an old 742 Woodmaster, I guess I haven't dropped it enough or used it enough to notice a change in zero.

I have been buying some used Nitrex TR2 scope's. They are the same as the Weaver Super Slam and many times can be had for 200$. The Super Slam runs around 600$ They seem to work ok and track decent, glass is good. The EBX etched reticle is pretty useful and I like the pop up turrets. The internal adjustment isn't extremely high but with some offset bushings in the Burris Signature Zee rings it is enough to go past 1000 yards with what I shoot.

I picked up a Leupold 6-18x VXII for 100$, sent it to Leupold and had tactical turrets installed and a LRV reticle installed for 200$. The Leupold scope model that is the same sells for about 600$, it works pretty well. 56moa internal adjustment.

I have some cheap Garrett binoculars in 15x70 that make seeing the vapor trails to the bullet strike pretty easy, Jupiters moons are easy to see(4 of them anyway). They were 130$

So, there are three optics that are pretty decent for less than 300$.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
Try dropping a zeroed rifle with a tasco mounted on top.I promise you will cringe That is why we buy high dollar scopes. I get why you would want to go cheaper but they are just not the same in any aspect.
Yep, But I'd rather drop that Tasco than A S&B or NF, Think if I dropped one of them I'd be on A Life support System for about 6 months if I did that,

A few of us have been saying all along that they are not the same in any respect NO ONE said they were/Are,

John
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post
Croney $100 Kestrel 2500NV $160 scope 100-500, Rifle $400/$800, Spotting scope 2/300 Max, Best ammo you can afford till you learn to reload, Range fees $$?? ==== FUN
If you are on a budget then you need to spend as little as possible on a basic quality rifle. Something like Savage or Tikka, even used, and then use whatever is left on a scope. Spotting scope I would skip at least until you get a decent set of binoculars.

Meopta MeoStar 3-10x50 perhaps? Would go long ways on top of a Tikka T3. Stevens 200 won't have a nice trigger or stock but on accuracy it won't be your weakest link.

If that is still out of budget then something with iron sights for below 300y with an old quality fixed 10x or 6x on quick attach rings for the long range.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
If you are on a budget then you need to spend as little as possible on a basic quality rifle. Something like Savage or Tikka, even used, and then use whatever is left on a scope. Spotting scope I would skip at least until you get a decent set of binoculars.

Meopta MeoStar 3-10x50 perhaps? Would go long ways on top of a Tikka T3. Stevens 200 won't have a nice trigger or stock but on accuracy it won't be your weakest link.

If that is still out of budget then something with iron sights for below 300y with an old quality fixed 10x or 6x on quick attach rings for the long range.

Yes thats Right Sami, I was just picking Items out of the hat just to show some of our less well versed members the max limit that the would need to spend,

The Gear you listed is perfect for gettin people out from under the cooks feet and give her some peace and quiet, And thats whats good about this sport there is something out there for everybody Male or Female

thanks, John
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

I have 2 Weaver Classic K 6x38 scopes. They are compact, the magnification is close to ideal for most deer hunting at Michigan type ranges (10-120 yards) and they seem robust as hell. I use one on my 50 cal muzzleloader and the other on a 20ga rifle barreled slug gun.

Negatives are that the eye relief is closer to 3" instead of 4" and because of the short tube it can be harder to mount close enough unless you have a picatinny style base. The turrets are mushy and take a few shots to settle after making an adjustment. I would NEVER dial one of them in the field, period.

I think they were about $130 each

For someone with my eyesight, it sure as hell beats any kind of iron sight hands down and I have taken a doe at 170 yards with my Savage 220 slug gun while using it.

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that one needs to compare the cost of any failure to what you have invested in a hunt or else risk serious disappointment and potential financial loss. In some circumstances equipment failure could even be life threatening, but that will not be at the range or shooting groundhogs.

Always keep in mind whats at stake and invest appropriately. I just read a story today on a SC physician who was gored 4x by a hog that he wounded with his 243 and he just managed a final shot on it as it was preparing to put the final hole in him. He had just about bled out by the time his buddy arrived, who had gone to bring the truck to pick up the hog, but ended up making a mad dash to the ER instead.