Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Yeah, I need a new spotting scope, too. I have an ancient Simmons that came free when we bought 2 scopes at the same time, about 15 years ago. LOL

It works, but it's pretty crappy.

I am thinking about getting the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80, or maybe waiting and getting that brand new Nightforce spotter when it becomes available for purchase. I bet it's gonna be NASTY!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, I need a new spotting scope, too. I have an ancient Simmons that came free when we bought 2 scopes at the same time, about 15 years ago. LOL

It works, but it's pretty crappy.

I am thinking about getting the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80, or maybe waiting and getting that brand new Nightforce spotter when it becomes available for purchase. I bet it's gonna be NASTY!
Night Force spotter, did you just Rob a Bank or sell some Organs???LOL

Well Mate yesterday I spoke to the UK importer of Vortex and he said that I can have they 15-45x65 HD Version at around 500 which means you should pick one up for around $500 But the 15-45 and the 20-60 are available with a mildot or TMR Reticle which would be pretty cool, I forgot to ask him about the 20-60 sorry about that, but Im waiting to move house soon and I have aranged with someone here to buy a Leupold one, but my moving has been put on hold for a week or two coz of health reasons, I think I snaped my Timing Chain coz the doctors had to sharpen their knives,lol

Blessins John
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Mildot, I know what you mean the M!4 is one sexy rifle, and as far as wax paper and cosmoline go I hate that stuff, I bought a brand new in box CZ-85 pistol that was made in 92 for $200 bucks a few years ago and it took an overnight soak in WD-40 just to make it possible to clean. and since it was Made in Czechoslovakia they had some weird communist cosmoline that ruined the factory plastic grips, they were all soft and brittle after almost 20 years in that grease packing crap. but now I LOVE THAT GUN!!!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

I just wish I could get a hold of a real M14....I had the chance a few years back, but couldn't save the $2,800 they wanted for it.

I figured if my last spotting scope was cheap and lasted 15 years, then a really nice one should last 30.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

I'm glad to hear about positive experiences in lower cost or older optics to be bought and do the job. I really encourage those experiences myself. Hearing negative 1 time experiences doesn't really help me. When I graduate to longer distances, I'll have learned enough to spend the big money.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

On page 72 in the new issue of VARMINT HUNTER magazine, there is an article regarding a new 4-16AO scope imported by Crossman (manufacturer of air guns) . They call it a CenterPoint and it retails for $100 with a $70 street price. The author of this article gives it good marks after he shot it on a .222. He does not say where it was made, but probably some low level Asian or Mideast country.

Personally, I would not buy it. If I spend $5K or more on a hunting trip, I do not want to head home early with a broken scope. Give me a good Leupold, NF or even a Burris and I will be happy.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
On page 72 in the new issue of VARMINT HUNTER magazine, there is an article regarding a new 4-16AO scope imported by Crossman (manufacturer of air guns) . They call it a CenterPoint and it retails for $100 with a $70 street price. The author of this article gives it good marks after he shot it on a .222. He does not say where it was made, but probably some low level Asian or Mideast country.

Personally, I would not buy it. If I spend $5K or more on a hunting trip, I do not want to head home early with a broken scope. Give me a good Leupold, NF or even a Burris and I will be happy.
I agree with you but what we are trying to point out is that everyone who shoots on a limited budget what is available and would not be spending $5000 on a hunting trip, And the fact is that when someone Spends $5000 on that trip they could not afford to risk as you rightly put come home early, Thats a big investment no matter how much a person has in the bank, A weekend huntin with the boys or weekends at the range are alot differrant than a paid hunt,
High end gear is perfect if there is no room for error involved as in tacticle environs or hi cost hunting trips, And I think Crossman are about a 1/3 or half the price of Tasco the last time I checked,

John