Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #134  
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
Gosh that was a lot of brain damage to get thru....but Ive read it all now.
I think this site is being taken over by people who do not and never have accomplished what this site is about.
There were posts on here saying you dont need a scope any better than some kind of simmons from some guy in minnesota. Probly right in MN not even close where I live.
The kinds of scopes being listed were fine for treestand hunting and the guys defending them obviously considered 400 to be a long ways away. HUH?
Good luck with the $200 scope on a 198" whitetail bedded in indian grass at 890 yds. You wont even see him in bright sunlight with a $200 scope. You might see a white patch but thats it.
So many people on here dont LRH and yet love to post thier vast knowledge here.
The admin here should break this site up into two parts. The LRH guys and everyone else. Everyone else is clogging up the real LRH knowledge with a bunch of walmart crap for treestand hunting at 200 yds. 200 yds is not LRH. 600 really isnt either with a real setup and a brain.
A lot of the posters who have found this website need to keep in mind that thier experience at LRH doesnt qualify them for much more than a hello post and thats it. Im not trying to be an ass but there is just way too much misguided stupidity posted on here most of which seems to come from guys who live places that they couldnt shoot 1k if thier lives depended on it.
If I was guessing this is why Len made the ELR sub forum so that those of us who really know something will have some peace and quiet.
To the OP I applaud the spirit of the post. I buy vortex for a reason....but there arent any $100 LRH scopes on this planet and putting that scope out on a LRH forum killed the whole deal.
This is not A fair comment !!, The person who started this thread was merely trying to show those less fortunate the options out their in order for them to take Part, If you kill off there dreams before they really get the bug then thats a crime in its self,

As for weather anyones experiance qualifies them for much more than a hello post Is Not for you to decide, even you had to start somewhere AS DID I, How are these people going to learn to shoot 1K+, as you put it unless we show them or give them tips on how to raise their game, but that only comes from experiance and if we The experianced dont show them and try to Help/Teach them then whats this forum about,

there should'nt be any Sub forums, why does there have to be an us and them theme to it, I have met some really great people here and all of which have always gone that extra mile to answer Good Bad and Dumb questions, I believe those people are the true LRH shooters here.

Most of they guys on this thread dont have deep pockets and I bet they would love to buy S&Bs or NFs by the Box but they have to do the best they can, it dont matter weather they can hit the target at a 100yds or 1000 at leased they are trying and I will always welcome that Pioneer spirit that Drives them on to succeed and I will always support That same Pioneer spirit that founderd the US in the first place,

Bleesin's to All, John
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,462
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

My only comment on Tasco is it's cheap. Long lasting, questionable. I bought one for a handgun a while back, touched it off one time (to sight it in) and the ocular lens fell out. Didn't realize it at first but the image got really fuzzty..... I looked again and realized it has no ocular lens and it fell in the grass and was lost in space.

Should have resold it on Flea Bay...lol
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 194
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post
This is not A fair comment !!, The person who started this thread was merely trying to show those less fortunate the options out their in order for them to take Part, If you kill off there dreams before they really get the bug then thats a crime in its self,

As for weather anyones experiance qualifies them for much more than a hello post Is Not for you to decide, even you had to start somewhere AS DID I, How are these people going to learn to shoot 1K+, as you put it unless we show them or give them tips on how to raise their game, but that only comes from experiance and if we The experianced dont show them and try to Help/Teach them then whats this forum about,

there should'nt be any Sub forums, why does there have to be an us and them theme to it, I have met some really great people here and all of which have always gone that extra mile to answer Good Bad and Dumb questions, I believe those people are the true LRH shooters here.

Most of they guys on this thread dont have deep pockets and I bet they would love to buy S&Bs or NFs by the Box but they have to do the best they can, it dont matter weather they can hit the target at a 100yds or 1000 at leased they are trying and I will always welcome that Pioneer spirit that Drives them on to succeed and I will always support That same Pioneer spirit that founderd the US in the first place,

Bleesin's to All, John
Very true, John. Thanks for standing up for us "green horns". When I first joined this sight, I hadn't shot anything beyond my local 100 yard range. No one in my family is a marksmen, by ANY means, an I had to teach myself to shoot. My only gun was an old Remington 788 .308 and a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40. I remember going to the range and shooting at 300 yards, and wondering why I couldn't find paper using Kentucky Windage!

I would ask what seem like a stupid questions, like "what does ffp mean?" and "whats a mil?" for the longest time, i thought paralax was a pokemon! However, after a lot of research, and saving every penny, and practicing form on my .17 HMR and .22lr, I have become quite the proficient shooter. I know own a Savage 10FP bedded into a B&C medalist. I lapped the Burris XTR rings and mounted my Weaver Tactical EMDR 3-15x50 in them snugly. It's a very proficient system, and I consistently shoot sub-MOA with factory (you heard me) Hornady 168gr match ammo.

The only dumb question is the one not asked. I have a lot of practice to go before I attempt an animal at long range, but I'm getting closer...

As for the original post, I have to say that a SWFA SS is arguably the best value in long range optics. If you have a dedicated long range shooter, you just can't go wrong. I plan on getting a 10x for my Savage BMag in .17 Winchester Super Mag! I also love my $80 Cabelas 8x32 binocs. Made my luepold, they have great glass and are always clear.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastink View Post
Very true, John. Thanks for standing up for us "green horns". When I first joined this sight, I hadn't shot anything beyond my local 100 yard range. No one in my family is a marksmen, by ANY means, an I had to teach myself to shoot. My only gun was an old Remington 788 .308 and a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40. I remember going to the range and shooting at 300 yards, and wondering why I couldn't find paper using Kentucky Windage!

I would ask what seem like a stupid questions, like "what does ffp mean?" and "whats a mil?" for the longest time, i thought paralax was a pokemon! However, after a lot of research, and saving every penny, and practicing form on my .17 HMR and .22lr, I have become quite the proficient shooter. I know own a Savage 10FP bedded into a B&C medalist. I lapped the Burris XTR rings and mounted my Weaver Tactical EMDR 3-15x50 in them snugly. It's a very proficient system, and I consistently shoot sub-MOA with factory (you heard me) Hornady 168gr match ammo.

The only dumb question is the one not asked. I have a lot of practice to go before I attempt an animal at long range, but I'm getting closer...

As for the original post, I have to say that a SWFA SS is arguably the best value in long range optics. If you have a dedicated long range shooter, you just can't go wrong. I plan on getting a 10x for my Savage BMag in .17 Winchester Super Mag! I also love my $80 Cabelas 8x32 binocs. Made my luepold, they have great glass and are always clear.
You are more than welcome my friend !!

I would never have won the medals I got if A Vietnam Vet had not given me just a hint of what could be done, he never showed me much but he gave me the ideas and I went on from there and within 3 months I was gettin medals,

When I first started this quest I soon learn that the most important part of you equipment is not the rifle or the scope

It's you EARS because you use them to interprate the information that is offered and you go on from there, there is more but if you need help just call,

I think your setup will not limit your success So never give up and never hold back

Blessin's John
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,903
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

You guys can play with whatever cheap scopes you want......I'll have to stick with Zeiss. I cant afford anything "better" and wont allow myself to buy any of the cheap junk thats on the market!
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
You guys can play with whatever cheap scopes you want......I'll have to stick with Zeiss. I cant afford anything "better" and wont allow myself to buy any of the cheap junk thats on the market!
I own many differing priced optics from 150 up to 1800+ but they dont have anything to do with this topic,

Yes Zeiss is Ultra cool, and these guys will move up that ladder as they get past the basics as their skills grow along with the sheer desire to want to get better and better and keep going with this hobby/Skill

congrats on the Optics, (A thing of Beauty)

John
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,876
Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Got one of these and it's been holding up just fine for the last 1.5 years of range abuse.

Konus M-30 Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 8.5-32x 52mm 1/10 MIL

I haven't found a better quality scope with as many features for $350...The glass is nice and clear, the lens coating is nice, and the turrets are pretty precise.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars and range finders ADMIN FAQ - Your Hunting/Shooting Answer Is Here 6 03-19-2014 07:07 PM
Zen-Ray Optics Introduces All New ZEN ED3 Binoculars Zen-Ray Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 3 11-25-2011 12:07 PM
High End Binoculars wfpack14 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 27 07-30-2008 11:53 PM
High Quality Binoculars soren Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 22 06-23-2008 02:38 AM
These scopes, quality vs. cost OnTarget Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 9 11-02-2005 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC