Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Frankly I doubt nothing. I know Leupold is more than just quiet about where the scopes are assembled at. Vortex's are assembled in the Phillipenes and it says so right on the bottom of the erector housing at least on the PST's and the Razor's. Don't know where the cheaper ones are assembled, I assume it's China... maybe next to Leupold.

I think back to when I was a kid and 'Japanese' equated to cheap transistor radio's and toys that self destructed in 30 seconds, now look at 'em......

Give the Chinese another 10 years or so and if they don't pollute themselves out of existence, they will be of 'Japanese Quality'...

Amazing.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

Well that answers my question about where long range starts at.
I get frustrated often when trying to learn new things like long range shooting. And have a mechanical or systems issue. I view mil dot Scopes as a systems problem. . At least for my hunting and shooting purposes.
I need to do some more research on the Horus Reticule systems. That Burris 96 Eliminator reticule looks great, But. For a scope that only works to 0 degree. F. Thats not the scope for me.
Quite honestly, I think reticule technology has a good ways to go yet. . And not just for predator hunting. Say your brown bear hunting. Unless your shooting a 416-50 caliber rifle producing 4,000 ftlb impact energy, chances are slim your bear is just going to be dumped right where it stood on the first shot. And bears have no problem running 40 MPH. . Usually there are lots of gut and rump/Ham shots after the first shot. If your scope reticule had marks for the different MPH from 10-50 and for the different distances it would be easy to swing while holding the correct mark on its shoulder and put your bullet where its supposed to go.
The reason you see so many brown bear at the kill pics in the alders is because that's where the bear ran to after it was shot the first time out in the open. With the right tool a running shot should be no harder than most other shots.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
China is like many countries selling stuff in the USA. Some products are really good...some are junk. I doubt that any product carrying the Nikon label is junk..??
Use them in good health and much happiness and down worry about what someone else says about them!
Where I live in SE MO. any glassing I do won't be long ranges actually but I figure they will help me spot deer in the edges of the woods that my old eyes normally miss. My son in law can spot the wiggle of an ear in the woods or wiggle of a tail that I never can see so if these will help me with that problem I'll be happy at least maybe, I won't go home empty handed next year. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5200 View Post
Where I live in SE MO. any glassing I do won't be long ranges actually but I figure they will help me spot deer in the edges of the woods that my old eyes normally miss. My son in law can spot the wiggle of an ear in the woods or wiggle of a tail that I never can see so if these will help me with that problem I'll be happy at least maybe, I won't go home empty handed next year. Thanks!
I know what you mean. Southern Ohio here and a long shot is about 300 yds from one "knob" to another....but since ya cant use a rifle on deer it for killing "milk jugs" if nothing else.

Camo'd..? I can walk up on a sleep grizzly unless he is snoring but movement I spot in an instant. I think that comes from my old squirrel hunting days..

Good luck to ya!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Ya, I'm blind as a bat too. I need good glass but It has to be affordaable. But the best thing is to have some eagle eye with me. Game has to be pretty obvious for me to spot it . .
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

@ Savageman69

I Love the Mk4 scopes and all the othere high end stuff but I just bought that VAR2510X42M about 4 months back and Im gonna buy the next one up and the illuminated ones as well although I have and do by other scopes as well, But the most amazing shots that I can remember was using a 3-9x40 Tasco world class and a fixed 10 power Tasco which also won the state metalic championship match on my 30-06,

I have others But the shots with that 3-9 stick in my mind the most considering the person who came up with the Idea was Taking the (P) and did'nt believe I'd make the shot,

But heres another one for you to Keep you eye out for, Is one of Tasco's old spotting scope's and the Part Numbers is CW50TZBC thats the numbers on the manual and the Numbers on the Scope are ( CW5002 ) Its a 12-36X50 Zoom with Camo Rubber Armour with ridges of rubber running down the lenth of it Same type of Ridge's as the Older Steiner Binoculars have on them, You can also get them in Black Rubber Armour too, I have Had this Scope for 16/17 years (1997) and it still looks like the day I got it, It never fogs up Because it is one of the world Class series which were Waterproof, These scopes have the Quality of $000s or more in todays prices and you should get one for about 30/80 dollars.

Yes I love all these other brands but some of Tasco's Products Stand out Too and Im not saying that Tasco are better than the others But its just a fact that That is what I happen to be using at the time, And if you look after them theres no reason why they wont last for at leased 10/20 years I bought my spotting scope for around $300 back then and its way better than the Latest scopes of that price range,

Good Luck with you search,

John
Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
leupolds are made in a state of the art facility on planet pandora where they utilize the latest marketing...i meant optics technology such as unobtanium and icbeter and lookfaronium to create unparralleled optical illusions such as an $8000 price tag on a mark 8.
Ohh and all the other stuff is made in china by the same guys who build leapers scopes and are paid $893 yen an hour ($.19 cents a day). Luckily leup-old bought them all plastic gloves for in the bathroom....seems to have cut down on the muddy glass comments by some.
lmao

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V