Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
I have felt you're not getting much value with Leupy's for a while now. Surprisingly many seems to think they are high end scopes while I rate them at the middle of the pack. I guess that makes them German and Austrian scopes some sort of ultra high end exotic luxury items to the same people.
Vortex is awesome...

But you owe it to yourself to check out the SWFA SS and SWFA SSHD.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Vortex is awesome...

But you owe it to yourself to check out the SWFA SS and SWFA SSHD.
I have looked through them a few times when I have been at SWFA. They seemed decent but unfortunately it was still daylight outside so I didn't get the full picture.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have looked through them a few times when I have been at SWFA. They seemed decent but unfortunately it was still daylight outside so I didn't get the full picture.
I would put them equal with a MK4 for twilight. The HD model anyways. Never really looked through the normal one at dusk so I don't know. They track great and don't weigh 30 pounds like my NF. Still wouldn't trade my NF though. Unless it was for a USO SN3

Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I would put them equal with a MK4 for twilight. The HD model anyways. Never really looked through the normal one at dusk so I don't know. They track great and don't weigh 30 pounds like my NF. Still wouldn't trade my NF though. Unless it was for a USO SN3
How about a Hensoldt or S&B?

The only MK4's I have looked through were about equal with Nikon Monarch's. It wasn't a full test though so could be that one or the other would be slightly better. Not bad but nothing spectacular.

Are we off-topic again?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

I see your Tasco as a short term value.When I was in my 20's,I too used Tasco's w/ sucess.
Down the road your Tasco will loose it's muti lense protecting coating,those thin rubber gaskets will fail and your todays crisp image willbe compromised.
Higher priced optics are built for MANY lifetimes not for the optics lifetime.

The biggest factor that determines a rifle scopes creditbility is ACCURACY.W/ a Tasco 6-24 variable scope.There willbe some point of impact change when adjusting from one variable power to another.Meaning,if you zero your rifle w/ the scope set at 24x.When you adjust to say 13x,the point of bullet impact willnot be EXACTLY the same as on 24x.
This factor along w/ many other variables that make optics like Zeiss,Leupold,Swarvor,ect,ect an investment.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
How about a Hensoldt or S&B?

The only MK4's I have looked through were about equal with Nikon Monarch's. It wasn't a full test though so could be that one or the other would be slightly better. Not bad but nothing spectacular.

Are we off-topic again?
I supose if someone just had to unload their SB I could be convinced to take it.

Never been around a S&B for any period of time, the one I did look through at a gas station sign was like looking at an HDTV. I just like the EREK knobs on the USO stuff. Never even seen a Hensoldt IRL im ashamed to say.

May be off topic but I enjoy building my E-rifle's.

I think a Savage .308 with ER Shaw 20" tactical and YMH Can and SWFA SSHD 10x42 Would make one hell of an F class shooter. In fact I'm building one now. Waiting on the stock.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Never been around a S&B for any period of time, the one I did look through at a gas station sign was like looking at an HDTV. I just like the EREK knobs on the USO stuff. Never even seen a Hensoldt IRL im ashamed to say.
Hensoldt is a tactical version of Zeiss Victory Diavari. Pretty much best glass money can buy. When I was last time at SWFA I was picking up my Victory Diavari 3-12x56 so when I say the SWFA's seemed decent, I do think that's a compliment considering the reference point.

Quote:
I think a Savage .308 with ER Shaw 20" tactical and YMH Can and SWFA SSHD 10x42 Would make one hell of an F class shooter. In fact I'm building one now. Waiting on the stock.
YHM Phantom is supposed to go on the Shaw at some point. For this one I'm building my own laminate stock.