Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj View Post
To me the saying that say's it best is "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone".
No truer words have even been spoken by anyone and that applies to all tangible goods and some relationships too.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

I've got a couple decent deals for ya. The Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x gets you out there a good ways and holds up. Mine went through 1700 rds. of 300RUM and is still ticking on another rifle.

Personally, I've had crap luck with bushnell, had to send several back. I prefer to deal with a company that no one knows how their customer service is because they have never had to use it.

Another that has done well for me, Cabelas Pine Ridge 4-12X BDC . I only have it on a 22LR but it's an excellent piece of glass for the price.

I try to buy the best I can afford at the time and then do with what I've got. I have quite a few boomsticks around though so it's not that big a deal for me to wait a little longer to get one up and running. I Have a $60 BSA 3-9x on a backup to the backup rifle that has done surprisingly well. 2 years on a 30-06 and around 100 rds and it's still ticking. The glass sucks in comparison to some of my others but I was in a pinch and it was there.

All in all, Just get into the best you can at the time and keep shooting! I don't regret buying my leupolds or vortexs but my simmons 44mag is still on a gun too!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

THANK YOU for being one of the first to post good optics that wont break the bank Ill have to look into those I deciced on the Savage 10 FCPK .308 and should have it within 8 months, I might just go with the bigger brother of the tasct 2.5-10 I use On my AR-15 Carbine
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
THANK YOU for being one of the first to post good optics that wont break the bank Ill have to look into those I deciced on the Savage 10 FCPK .308 and should have it within 8 months, I might just go with the bigger brother of the tasct 2.5-10 I use On my AR-15 Carbine
Tikka T3 .308 for around ~550-600 and you'll have money over for a Weaver Super Slam. Better rifle, MUCH better scope.

Weaver 3-15X50 Super Slam Riflescope Side Focus Dual-X Reticle Silver - Natchez Shooters Supplies
Weaver 2-10X42 Super Slam Riflescope Dual-X Reticle Silver - Natchez Shooters Supplies

If you're set on tactical Savage, I have couple that I might let go, .308 and 6.5x55. The 6.5x55 is a trued action by Sharp Shooter Supply making the Savage almost as smooth as a factory Tikka and both have aftermarket triggers that are almost as good as a factory Tikka.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

Well, since inexpensive quality rifles has been brought up, my suggestion is look at the new Weatherby Vanguard Series 2s. The rifles literally live up to their claims and the trigger is puuurfect. I have broke in two (30-06 and a 7mm-08) and both rifles shoot OTC inexpensive ammo just inside the .90" at 100 too easily. The action is smooth and the rifle is well balanced. At $469.00+ tax, I just don't know how one can go wrong.

P.S. I placed two Wally World Centerpoint scopes on 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 rifles last year for hunters who could not afford more. The scopes held up just fine under reload testing and sight-in before the fall hunt.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
P.S. I placed two Wally World Centerpoint scopes on 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 rifles last year for hunters who could not afford more. The scopes held up just fine under reload testing and sight-in before the fall hunt.
I have a 6-24x50 illuminated varmint Tasco that I usually show as reference. People are surprised when they look through it as it's pretty nice glass for the $70 I paid for it. When they view it again after sun goes down, they don't like it nearly as much. Could you use that extra hour of visibility really is an important question when selecting your scope.

A $200 Savage or Mossberg with a Tasco is a fine deer killing combo if you can't afford anything nicer. Nothing wrong with that. You'll probably just have to end the hunt a little sooner than the guy with an expensive scope.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

I have the tasco 2.5x10x42 mildot scope and my buddy does also. Mine is on a ruger 10/22 and his is on a 243 winchester. I think the scope is perfect for this application. You don't "need" the higher dollar scopes for hunting.

Not sure why there are people that have read this thread and post that you do. Maybe they should start their own threads about how great their 3000 dollars scopes are, this isnt the thread for that "obviously".

I also have a 2.5x10x50 nikon buckmaster scope that has worked great on my 50 cal muzzle loader, to 223 rem, and now currently on my 30-06. I just bought a 4x12x42 bushnell elite 3200 last year and it is also a very nice scope for the money.

Not sure where these guys are hunting that require these high end optics? I have never seen any "hunter" with any scope higher priced than a leupold.

I have two higher dollar scopes, a leupold vx3 LR 8x25x50 and a sightron s111 8x32x56. These scopes are on a 338-300 ultra and a 6mm dasher and serve their purpose accordingly.

If I "need" or require better scopes for hunting as some might think, I'd probably never harvest any big game. However, I have 2, 10 point bucks and a nice 8pt buck on my wall and they didnt require, march, nightforce, IOR, zeiss, or swarovski scopes.

FYI, nobody here is stating that if you have the money, not to buy the upper end scopes. I think the ops post was pretty clear.