Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Look guys im not trying to tell anyone what they need or how to shoot, all im asking for is you to spread the word on good stuff at a low cost, I use the term low cost because affordable depends on budget but low cost is low cost, but to put it in plain english for this thread anything over $400 isnt low cost.
Now if you dont think that people should use products in that price range or that, long range shooting starts at a certain distance, this thread isnt for you, so dont read it and keep your opinions to yourself. Im not trying to be a jerk but damn near every post has been about how wrong I am or how I need to spend at least this much, or how i dont shoot at long range when all i did to start the thread was ask a question. So if you really have to say it, start a thread about how great $1000 scopes are.
I have 5 rifles two 22lr one 22wmr one 44-40 and one 5.56 what I consider long range is caliber dependent, long for a 22lr is 200yds for a 22wmr 300 and 700 for a 16" barrel AR-15 with a 1-9 twist. are any of those ranges long for a .308 with a 24" barrel no but i work with what i have.
Again all im asking is for people to spread the word on great gear they got for a great low price, I know its out there, But I cant afford to sift through the piles of junk in that price range to find the good stuff thats why I started this thread.
We all know how great high dollar stuff is. Im 24 I have a mortgage to pay for student loans to pay off, and I Cant drop a months mortgage payment on a scope, If a grand is nothing to you, will you buy me the scope you say I have to have? I didnt think so.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

When I was 24 I did not hunt with Sako rifles with Swarovski scopes on them either. But 33yrs later with my house paid off and producing a substanial income I do. No one here is busting your balls for what you own or use. It is human nature to want better and more so as your life and income increase you will upgrade, I predict. Buy the best you can afford but if baby needs a new pair of shoes keep your priorities straight. But at 24 I sat and listened and learned and did not try to preach to old experienced guys.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

Your right I have alot to learn, thats why when I found this site I read and read and read, I still read and then try what I read at the range, And If a came off "preachy" that was not my intent, I was frustrated when I wrote my last post I think that shows, And again I really am not trying to be a jerk, if I came across that way I apologize.
However I asked a simple question about good glass at low prices because I need it and I think alot of other guys do, There sure is a bunch of junk in the less than $300 price range but there are a few goodies to, I cant afford a high dollar scope if I had that kind of money Id spend it on a proper long range rifle, Im savin pennies for a either Savage' 10 FCP .308 or the FCP SR .308 or the Model 10 Precision Carbine in either .223 .300 blackout or .308, When I do get one of these Ill have alot to learn going to 1,000yds but I still will need a scope I can afford and one that works well.

I have a leapers golden Image 4x30 that moves the reticle around in circles when you adjust the focus ring (Paperwieght!!!!)
the Simmons scope that came with my Savage 93xp has worked flawlessly
I Sent a BSA whatever back beacause it was fuzzy around the edges and unusable at anything between 12x16x
then after looking through a bout 15 scopes at a local store the guy behind the counter asked whet I wanted it for and he used the Tasco 2.5-10x42mm on his ar and it was on sale so I got a great deal on the best scope in that price range unless i missed something from S&B on uber sale for $300

Ive also got a pair of very nice Bushnell binoculars, but wanted something light and compact so i tried monoculars and stuff I had a pair of tasco field binos but they dont cut it but finally found a set of Bushnell Powerview 10-30x24 porro prizm bino's that are very light clear and wont make me cry if i lose them and for $45 not breaking my bank either
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Try this. Get your self a large jar/container and put it in your bed room. Every night when you get undressed for bed empty your pocket of loose change and put it in the container. Do this for a year or until the container is full and if the money is not needed for more important things you might find you have saved enough to get a quality piece of equipment for yourself. Until then do the best you can with what you have or can afford, work hard and don't aquire alot of debt, and your continuing success will allow you to continually upgrade. We've all been thru it, the best of luck to you.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Ok the comment by TF is unfortunately true in most cases with most optic mfg.
But there are optics out there that you do get what you pay or don't pay for ! Now with that said I don't think the person going on a $3-$6,000 hunt is going to top thier rifle with a "Bargain" scope but then how many can afford that type of hunt? I have shot from the cheap one's up to what I use now and I apprceciate that experience but all you need is one time to have the game your after in your view bring your rifle up and nothing then you'll understand why they cost what they do not saying it can't happen to a top of the line scope but the odds are that it will with the lower end more often than the upper end. Remember the MFG's charge what the market will bare.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Bronze Member

To me the saying that say's it best is "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone".
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
I cant afford a high dollar scope if I had that kind of money Id spend it on a proper long range rifle, Im savin pennies for a either Savage' 10 FCP .308 or the FCP SR .308 or the Model 10 Precision Carbine in either .223 .300 blackout or .308
Pick up an old Savage 110 or 10 that can be had for cheap. Take out the barrel and replace it with a bull barrel from f.e. ER Shaw. Get an aftermarket trigger to install on it and aftermarket stock. Then some bluing chemicals to refinish the bluing on the gun and you're done.

I can point you to a good source for ER Shaw barrels, including 300 Blackout.