Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

High Quality Binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

I think Iím somewhat different than most people when it comes to binoculars. When hunting Iím either on a horse or backpacking so the weight of the glasses are more important to me compared to whether or not I can see well when itís still dark or getting dark. I have a pair of 7x35 Leicaís that I have used for years and would not trade them for any of the 10xís out there as a carry all day glass. Another advantage of the lower power binocular is you can hold them pretty still even when puffing. Under ideal conditions the 10x glasses are great but I never seem to have ideal conditions. If I was looking for a new set they would probably be the Swarovski 8x30 or similar. JMO.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

I know everyone is insistent about spending $2000.00 for a good set of binoculars and so was I. I almost bought a pair of Swaro's but happened to look at the pair next to them which was on sale. They were the Alpen Rainer's in 10 x 42 @ sportsmans warehouse. I took both pairs out side and could not tell a big enough difference to spend an extra 1200 for the Swaro's. I highly recommend them if you want to save a little money and still get some top notch glass.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

In addition to clarity as a measure of an optic, there are other considerations. The people who advised me on the Swaro binoculars also mentioned "color" as being important. Those people (GG, Uncle B, Michele and ????) were very right. At a range of 2300 yards I picked up a cow elk by color alone. With the binoculars, I could not tell if it was shaped like a log or a rock or a bush but I could tell it was elk color. Then with the Nightforce set at 32 X 56mm, I could tell not only that it was an elk but for 100% sure it was a cow.

Something to think about.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

High Quality Binoculars

I am going to have to vote for Leica. I have a pair of 10 x 42. The color and contrast of the glass is amazing. A whitetail deer will stand out of the brown woods background when you scan the area around you. I have several friends that use both the Leica and Zeiss. No problems with either.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have a pair of Leica 10X42s and a pair of Swarovski 15X56. Leica Binos IMHO are the best of the best. There are other binoculars that are very close in decent conditions but like BB said let the distance get way out thier and or the lighting not be very good and the difference becomes apparent.
Side by side test in the store or outside the store rarely tell the tale for me but a daily comparison over several weeks will.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:31 PM

Hi,

I own a swaro 7x42 and duovid leica 8-12x42. Both are fantastic, i don't like big magnification when usingthem for hours and hours. I use the 12x magnification on the leica only when needed for identifacation purpaose on games.

A couple of years ago after having eaten bad food, it happens that I throw out on my swaro binoculars. I just cleaned the outside and continue hunting. I put the binoculars back home in ma bag and kept in ther for a couple of month. In spring I was willing to use them but the adjustment wheel was blocked (probaably because of the acid of the stomac that went in their).
I send the binoculars to the factory for repair. They came back with new front and rear lenses, new ruber cover, new eye piece. And this under waranty! Forgot ot mention that the bino where 14 years old! just to speak about the service offered by swarowski.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

I bought a pair of Leica Geovids (the new model) 10X42, they are the best glass I've ever looked through. I don't have a lot of experience with high end bino's but IMO you can't go wrong with the Leica.