Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which High-End Spotter to Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which High-End Spotter to Buy?

I looked through Swaro then look through Kowa- Prominar TSN-884 Floride Lens I Bought the Kowa Prominer. I love it. I spend all day glassing in eastern montana off of buttes I CAN SPOT DEER SEVERAL MILES AWAY. Then take the 338 ax and kill my dear. I do use my swaro binocular and swaro rangfinder. That's what works for me.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which High-End Spotter to Buy?

Bushnell - Elite 15-45 x 60 mm, Matte [781548P]

I've got this fairly cheap Bushnell Elite (at the time I bought it several years ago, about the best compromise between price, being compact, lightweight and fitting well in a pack when your miles from the trailhead) and I can see .308 or .338 bullet holes in white paper just fine at over 1K in reasonable lighting conditions and low to no mirage. Just mention that to say that seeing bullet holes, even .224s at 500m plus, is not that big of a deal for many scopes and you might consider not using that as a defining criteria for selecting a scope.

One way to check if you have good glass is to how well you can resolve fine detail in low lighting conditions--the hairs on mounted animal at 50yds plus indoors can be once selection criteria to consider. With my eyes, for instance, and this test, I can look through a pair of Leica Ultravids and then Swarovski ELs with same objective lens size and find that the Swarovski's clearly comes out on top. The Swarovski will focus and resolve better for my eyes than the Leica's. If you have to sit there and move the focus wheel back and forth much trying to get a clear picture and don't get it such that you keep on trying to focus, that's a glass issue.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl