Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

help with scope mounting problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

help with scope mounting problem

I have a leupold vari-x-III 6.5-20X40 that im trying to mount on a rem 700 7mmrum. How can I tell if the scope is square on the receiver? I put the windage to mechanical 0 and mounted the scope and now need almost 22 minutes right to zero on bore sighter. If Im able to bore sight with the scope in mechanical zero will this mean that its square ( not sure if thats the term)? and, how do I fix this?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: help with scope mounting problem

[QUOTE=boyce;399794]I have a leupold vari-x-III 6.5-20X40 that im trying to mount on a rem 700 7mmrum. How can I tell if the scope is square on the receiver? I put the windage to mechanical 0 and mounted the scope and now need almost 22 minutes right to zero on bore sighter. If Im able to bore sight with the scope in mechanical zero will this mean that its square ( not sure if thats the term)? and, how do I fix this?[/QUOTE
Thats a good question, I have never heard of anyone doing that to check for squareness to the receiver. Of course we correct for any vertical misalignment by bedding the scope base to the receiver to decrease stress on the scope tube. As for checking this from the horizontal misalignment I'm not really sure how to do that. I just mounted a Leupold mark4 with a nightforce 20moa base and the tps rings, so I bedded the base to the receiver and then lapped the rings to hopefully correct any misalignment>
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Bronze Member

I may be overthinking this but the way I see it is. If scope is not perfectly parallel to and over bore the windage will only be good for the distance your sighted in for. I have a M1 Garand that once had an ofset scope mount, to sight this rifle in I had to aim scope right at 1.5 inches left of intended poi. If I sighted in dead on at 100 (poa same as poi) then at 200 I hit 3 inches right and so on. I have been reading about rings with inserts and windage adjustable rings, will these square up my scope? and are they the best way to do this?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

The only way I would consider would be with some sort of shim or spacer in the ring itself that will move your scope to the side a certain amount. I will never use a windage adjustable base such as the leupold base with the windage adjustment. I had one of the adjustment screws break off and therefore allowed my scope to move around the week before a hunting trip. Good luck getting to the bottom of this.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Lot of variables here. If you bought the scope new, it should have arrived at the mechanical zero, so are you sure you didnt miss count?

Second, what type of mounting hardware are you using? I have switched all my rifles to NF bases and rings, and have never had to move more than .5 MOA to dial the windage on the bore sight.

Not sure what bore sight your using, but I have seen them get out of whack from being dropped or mishandled (optical type). It may be a bad bore sight.

As far as leveling the reticle, I use Wheelers level-level-level. I always check it against another level though.

Ive been in your shoes on frustrating scope issues, so if you want to PM me I'd be glad to shoot you a number and try to talk in more detail.

Otherwise, hope this helped.

Last edited by texan79; 06-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

I use a Wheeler level level level ...

YouTube - Wheeler Engineering® Level Level Level

along with a couple of different collimators.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

I don't think anybody will know what the solution for you problem is without first knowing what style/brand of mounts and rings you used to mount this scope. If you used standard Leupold mounts then you need to set the rear ring to zero windage with the two opposing mounting screws. If you used to dual dovetail rings then the fix may not be so easy.