Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help with Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Re: Help with Scope

Spino,

I believe the "peg" you are referring to is the recess where the coil spring that tensions the reticle erector is located. Using a coil spring tends to make the reticle more durable than leaf springs.

Scott
Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Spino,
I'm going there to shoot pigs. There is a cull hunt on one of the ranches so we can shoot as many pigs as we can.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did that a couple of years ago at the Callahan Ranch south of Laredo. Bagged my buck the first day of a 3-day hunt, with my brother and cousin who still needed to get theirs, and wreaked havoc on the feral pig population the following day. Let's just say that the ranch hands were well-fed for many weeks after I left. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

lrs50bmg,

Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to make any adjustments to this when I'm dialing my scope in? Thought the reticles were etched in on the IOR's?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lrs50bmg,

Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to make any adjustments to this when I'm dialing my scope in? Thought the reticles were etched in on the IOR's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spino,

The reticle is etched on glass, but it is held in position by an erector system, adjusted by the windage and elevation turret/screw mechanism and held under tension by the erector spring, in this case a coil spring. There isn't enough room inside the tube for the coil spring, so they add a small tube/recess to accomodate the coil spring, which you observed as the small "peg" at an angle on the 7:30 position on the tube. Hope this helps. It is actually a more robust and durable design.

Scott
Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to make any adjustments to this when I'm dialing my scope in?

[/ QUOTE ]No - leave well alone. I've already suggested IOR put (yellow - soft) threadlock on the cap, once adjusted by them, to disuade folk.