Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help with Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 AM

Re: Help with Scope

Spino,

I was hopping from site to site actually looking for info on IOR scopes and saw your post. I dithered over getting one for some time and decided to go for it. I got a 4-14 X 50 IL with a 30 mil tube, which I fitted yesterday. As of yet I have not fired it, the winds are blowing the trees horizontal at the moment. I did take some photo's

This one is not so good, I have never mastered the technique of taking a photo through the scope, this is 10X magnification.

I got this scope from a dealer second hand, he also had a S&B 3-12 X 56, which I tried side by side with the IOR, and surprise surprise I preferred the IOR. I don't know how that came about as I have S&B's on other guns and expected it to come out on top, but it just never happened that way.

I tried the IL later in the day and it is just the dot in the centre that lights up, enough to put it on the target and not so much as to be confusing and spoil the sight image. It is not the brighest light around but it does the job. The scope seemed to make a more than fair job of gathering light as darkness fell, but this was conducted out of a window from my house and not under field conditions.

So all I can tell you is, it looks OK, the image is clear and crisp right to the edges, it seems to gather the light OK, the illumination is good enough (for me anyway), the magnification ring is smooth to operate, the adjustable eyepiece, ala S&B, is smooth and easy to use, and I like the reticule. Plus I have not found anyone who hates them. I just hope it hold zero OK.

Hope this is of use,

John
Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Stormrider,

I'm also looking at the 3x18 (35mm). Haven't decided yet. Thanks for the feedback. Where are you going to hunt in TX? What are you hunting? Under the recoil of the 300RUM is the scope holding zero?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

JAYBUK,

Thanks for the information! I want to ask: Do you think it's worth it to go with the 56mm over the 50mm on the IOR? Beautiful stock on the gun. That scope really looks good on there too. It's like driving an exotic car that turns heads.... What is the make of the rifle? Thanks for the picture of the reticle. It makes a difference to see that vs what they post on the web.. I can see where you can get very precision by using the dot.. Thanks for the info onthe illumination too..
Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Stormrider,

I'm also looking at the 3x18 (35mm). Haven't decided yet. Thanks for the feedback. Where are you going to hunt in TX? What are you hunting? Under the recoil of the 300RUM is the scope holding zero?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've not shot it a lot since I got it, less than 30 rounds. However once I got the zero set it seems to be holiding well.
I'm going to Leaky, TX. Just east of San Antonio. After I get back from that I hope to have a much better answer for you.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Mach V,

You Da Man!!!!

I just borrowed a 4-14x50 on Friday and mounted it on my VERY light wt rem 700, 26" ss Lilja in 30-06 Ackley. I am extremly impressed with the scope. Mounting will be a bit tricky. It came w/ med rings which puts it about 2.1" over bore. I'd like to try low rings, and believing the rings supply are TPS's, their low's run .15" lower but I only have .14" between power ring and top of Ken Farrel 20 MOA pic base.

What I'm really eyeing is the 3-18x42. Any experience with it. Especially the size of the occulare lens housing and power ring in comparison to the 4-14x50?

Big Al
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

I ordered the 3X18 with low rings. It works just fine. I have a 20 moa down USO Picatiny base on my rifle.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Stormrider,

wanted to get your opinion on this questions to?

Do you think it's worth it to go with the 56mm over the 50mm on the IOR?

I think Leakey is west of SA about 1.5hrs? What are you hunting there? Do you know somebody? That's a long way to go to hunt varmints... Thanks again for the help so far.