Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help, need to pick one: Monarch gold 1200 or RX-IV TBR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Help, need to pick one: Monarch gold 1200 or RX-IV TBR

Hello all
I have been browsing the forums for a while but this is my first post. I would have liked to make a more formal introduction but I am in a bit of a jam making a decision, and I hope I can get some help.
I friend of mine just brought back two new range finders from the US, a Nikon Monarch Gold 1200 and a Leupold RX-IV TBR. I can have my pick and he will keep the other one, no price difference.
My ranging needs are 650-700 yards max.
I have until Sunday to pick, which one would you choose?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help, need to pick one: Monarch gold 1200 or RX-IV TBR

I was looking at new rangefinders a couple of weeks ago myself. I had a few good leads on the Leupold RX-IV but after reading reviews and stories of them here and elsewhere I went with a Leica. But I haven't seen anything bad about the Nikons. I'd go with the Nikon personally.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

First off, Welcome to lrh.com! this is a great site im sure you'll learn a lot. There's a lot of information on here.

+1 on the Nikon, i think they will both read to 600-700yrds but hey, a few extra can't be bad.

On the other hand, check if the Nikon adjusts for angle shooting, my Leupol does and it's pretty handy. One less calculation to do when that big buck (or whatever you hunt) steps into that far away clearing.

-Oliver
Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Gold Member

+1 for Nikon......... Disclaimer: Big Nikon fan who has not used there rangefinders and had some problems with leapold scopes so there on my S list, Take it for what its worth.........my 2 cents
Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 AM

I cant really tell you which way to go as i dont own either. I have a buddy that has the luppy RX-iv TBR, and it is hard to read with the black "transparent" display, and so many options that you can get lost in the menus and not be able to get a range reading. I used it for an afternoon, and that's what happened to me. He is used to the rangefinder and told me how to correct it ect... If you get this unit, you need to practice with it for a while before taking it to the field, then you'd probably be just fine! The Nikon I have tried in store only. I liked it for it's simplicity and ease of use, but I have no real world ranging with it to see how good it really is. Just my $0.02 worth, hopefully someone on here can give you a little more detailed ranging report.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdavis81 View Post
I was looking at new rangefinders a couple of weeks ago myself. I had a few good leads on the Leupold RX-IV but after reading reviews and stories of them here and elsewhere I went with a Leica. But I haven't seen anything bad about the Nikons. I'd go with the Nikon personally.
Thanks, that is what happened to me, most of the complaints I have seen are because of the ranging capabilities, but it seems like it will work consistently on the range I'm looking for so I haven't discarded the leupold completely, but it is not my only concern; if you could point me to a review/story from someone who owned or owns one I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by AMINI; 02-13-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
First off, Welcome to lrh.com! this is a great site im sure you'll learn a lot. There's a lot of information on here.

+1 on the Nikon, i think they will both read to 600-700yrds but hey, a few extra can't be bad.

On the other hand, check if the Nikon adjusts for angle shooting, my Leupol does and it's pretty handy. One less calculation to do when that big buck (or whatever you hunt) steps into that far away clearing.

-Oliver
Thanks for the welcome!, the Nikon doesn't adjust for angle shooting, and yes bucks are on the hunting list down here .