Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help need info on the best detatchable rings/bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help need info on the best detatchable rings/bases

Thanks Ian, I found the site on that torque wrench, very neat unit. You mentioned the MK 4's What is your opinion of them compared to the Badgers? I have a chance to buy a set but I know what the Badgers will do. Thanks again
Old 03-04-2003, 01:26 PM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 03-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Can anyone identify this mount?If you can find one they return to O & take the beating of the BMG.Needs a cleaning though=CJ
Old 03-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Sam,
I was a little reluctant to state numbers because they sometimes bite a person, but we found very similar results (0.5 moa) very consistently, as you suggest. Like you, I use Nears and Badgers. Have had scopes go back on without need for any adjustment more than a few times. Expensive but look at how they work...
Did you know that Richard Near has moved to Alberta?
Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Hey guys....

thanks for all the input...

I think I'll have to build a scabbard...

I knew someone would make money off me on this deal , just didn't think it woulda be the local leather guy....
Old 03-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

August,
MK4 rings are good. Some authorities suggest that they are not quite as precisely manufactured as some of the competition. They do not have serial numbers to keep mated bottoms together like Badgers. Reality is they can be lapped if necessary, a fairly simple task that some guys make a big fuss over. Most guys don't feel the need to lap Badgers. No doubt some individuals would lap them, bed them and spring angel-dust on them for good luck. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There are two eras of MK4's that I am aware of, the originals which had the ringsplit about 3/4 of the way up the side profile of the scope (smaller top cap), and the newer ones that have the ring split at the midpoint or halfway point of the scope tube when looking from the side. The older ones have kind of a rough looking inside surface, the newer ones are smoother and have a more rugged profile.
Badgers have a different finish, softer looking and less like blueing but it stands up very well. There are several other good tactical rings but Badger has the name and much of the market for good reason.
Since tactical style rings are steel (except for a few aluminum Badgers and others that might be in existence) they are heavier but I think that the ruggedness is worth the few ounces. I have never heard of a problem with Badgers, can't say that about hunting-style mounts.