Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help need info on the best detatchable rings/bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2003, 05:37 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Help need info on the best detatchable rings/bases

I have on order from Jerry Rice Nor -Cal precision my new 300 RUM tactical..
well if I put the Nightforce 5.5-22X56mm I can't get the thing in the scabbard... way to big....

so I was talking to some guy who said go with the detatchable rings/bases.. ok sounds good but are they.. and how repeatable to zero are they on and off????

whos got the best???

I figure Ian or Dave or S1 might know the answers to this

many many thanks....
Old 03-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help need info on the best detatchable rings/bases

Wyo,
I had the opportunity to use virtually all of the current detachables a while back, shot them on the same rifle, same scope under optimum conditions (zero wind, constant light). Mounting systems that I used were Warne (Supreme and Maxima), Leupold (QRW and QR), Talley, Talbot and EAW. They work fine for hunting accuracy, but all exhibited a slight change of POI. There was also a definite settling-in after about three shots, even tho we tried to re-install uniformly. Most of the mounts returned the scope close, but none stayed within the kind of accuracy you will need for LR work with that rig. That is just my opinion. They are great for hunting rifles, that rig of yours ain't no standard huntin' rifle.
I have repeated the shooting with Badgers and they were better - as in virtually bang-on. More money, require a Sekonk wrench, built like the proverbial brich outhouse. You spend that much on your scope and rifle, don't want to cut corners on the mounts - right.
Look for a smaller scope?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Ric

Two more things to try.

Build a new scabbard, takes a bunch of hours but it works.

Try some MWG-A.R.M.S. rings..I used a set once, seemed acceptable but not a sure as never having to remove the scope.
http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Pro...22/arms22.html
Old 03-03-2003, 07:04 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Ina Dave,

Thanks..

Dave I'll take a look at them....
Old 03-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Ian, a couple of questions about your post if I may. Have you tested any of the QD type ring/base assemblies like those from Armalite and A.R.M.S. ? I ask because it makes more sense to me that it would be easier to have a one piece unit return to zero than rings from a stress standpoint. I don't know if they are heavy enough however for the job. I have just purchased the #35 QD base and ring set-up from ARMS and so far am impressed by how tight the tolerences are and how it lapped in but I have now hasd a chance to test. I have read very good things about both of them but mostly on small bores and one .308.
Also I have always used a Snap-on dial type in/lb torque meter to tighten Badgers, MWG's etc. Does the Seekonk offer soemthing better in the way of tightening? Thank you,
Old 03-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

WYO: If you are interested I have a one week old 6.5 X 20X 50 Leupold with side focus,target knobs, shade etc that might work better in your scabbard. If you are intested in working out a trade on your NF let me know.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

August,
I have the seven types of mounts, did not use the two that you mention so cannot comment on them, sorry.
The Sekonk is a relatively small "T" shaped snap-wrench, they are calibrated to given torque specs. Probably the best model actually is set at 65 for tightening and 80 for loosening, that way you can take your rings off (this is for the large 1/2 inch nut that tightens on the side of the MK4 or Badger style rings). As you know, 65 is also the suggested torque for stock bolts so the tool is good for checking and tightening them.
I use a Mac torque screwdriver for the capscrews in the rings, set it at 15 inch pounds as per Badger recommendation.
No doubt your Snap-on does as good a job, not sure if it would be as small and portable. My Sekonk fits into an RCBS die box.