Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help Need to Choose Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 PM

Help Need to Choose Scope

Hi Guys,

Here is my first post on this forum.
Intro: I am from New Zealand. Just bought my first rifle in .308 I need to choose a scope now. I'd be using it for Deer, Goat and Pig shooting hopefully. The rifle is a cheapy Zastava M70 PS. I thought I'd try it first and then I'd probably move to Remington 700.

I have gone down to 2 options that are available here for me within the price range and now I need to make a final choice.

1) Leupold VxI 3-9x40 ($369 NZD)
2) Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 ($445 NZD)

I need to choose one of these and I don't know which one to go with. Could I please ask for your opinion with reasons why I should go for what you have selected.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help Need to Choose Scope

Of those 2.....I'd choose the Leupold.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I expect the optics and turret mechanics to be similar in quality. I recall that VXI scopes have a 2-piece tube construction, and the Bushnell Elites have 1-piece tube. I would choose the Bushnell for that reason alone.

I would also check on warranties in NZ. They may be different than in the US.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Bushnell is not my first choice, but being that the Bushnell Elite series used to be Bausch & Lomb scopes (same scopes, different brand name on them), and I used to hunt with a B&L Elite 3000 30mm 3-9x50 FireFly reticle and I know how good quality they are, I'd go with the Bushy Elite.

As a matter of fact, I just found an old picture of my old B&L Elite 3K sitting on top of my old custom Model 7 .308 Win. The scope was later removed and mounted on my first Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 7RM, and I hunted with that combo for YEARS, and whacked 'em and stacked 'em. With that scope you could literally see over a greenfield at midnight with just the starlight. It was crazy. Not that I was deer hunting at night, but was coyote hunting. They're not considered a game animal down here...So they're year-round 24/7 with no bag limit.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Ah yes, songdogs are great. Was out night before last in my skivies in the front yard with a big portable spotlight and my 44 magnum....

Skeeters were biting but so was the 44.....
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Of those 2 scopes I would choose the Bushnell Elite too.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
Of those 2 scopes I would choose the Bushnell Elite too.
+1 on the Bushy Elite. Shot through a buddies a few weeks ago - definitely not the crappy Bushnell's of my youth! I was impressed.