Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help with First long range scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Re: Help with First long range scope

I was going to post something similar as I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Currently building a semi-custom rem 700 300 RUM. After the new barrel and stock, action and trigger work, my play money will be exhausted for a while. I have looked at the vortex vipers, but wonder how they will do at low light situations, compared to Leupold varix3's which is what I have on other guns.

I really want a night-force, but wonder how much better they are than a Leupold.

sorry to hijack for a minute
Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

I was in your same shoes a year ago. I, like you, also didn't want to spend more money than I needed to to shoot accurately. However, I have also been down the ole road many times of wishing that I would have just dropped a little more coin to get quality equipment. (I found that lesson out the hard way with my rangefinder). I have to say, if you have a budget like you mentioned, then my advice is just save a little more, wait a little longer, and get the Nightforce. You won't be sorry. I have several "cheap" scopes. None of which are good beyond a couple hundred yards. I got the NXS 5.5-22X 56 and could not be happier. My wife nearly fainted when she saw how much the NF cost, but she quickly got over it. So, after saying that, my vote is for the NF. If you do, you will only cry once. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

tactical vs tacti-cool, is hard, more important is getting what you want wich is hard to decide sometimes. first you need to know if you want a first or second plane scope. this will cut down your options. then you know you want zerro stops so that will help, you dont want to go over 1500 so that cuts out some scopes and so on.

as for available elivation if you can get a 20 moa scope base you should be ok with most scopes out there, even the weaver. i dont have a 20moa base and i top out my adjustment at about 850yd with a falcon menace which has 19 mil/64 moa of adjustment.

scopes in your pricerange that i would look at. IOR 3-18 FFP with a 20moa base, night force nxs fi 3-15 FFP. also super sniper 5-20 thats not out yet though i dont remember if it has zero stops.

i havent done much resurch on second focal plane scops so i cant really help you there. but if you are ok with an SFP you have alot of options

Last edited by lsm62; 05-10-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Sorry I forgot about the leupold mark 4 and Bushnell elite
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

I don't have an FFP scope and think that most of them are sold under the tacti-cool banner. I'm not a professional sniper, I don't plan on taking 500 yard shots on less than maximum magnification, and I don't want teeny weeny little crosshairs when I'm trying to shoot an elk running through the brush at 40 yards. My rifles are hunting rifles built to kill elk in every situation I find myself in from 10 yard running brush shots to 750 yards standing in sagebrush. I've been there enough times of each to realize that neither is a fluke and both need to be within my capabilities.

There is no reason to think that a long range scope is going to cost you $2 per yard. $1 per yard is plenty and you might could go as low as $0.50 per yard.

Nightforce scopes are great but most of the Leupold's will get you to 1k and I've a notion that Nikons or Vortexs will too. Shop for used scopes, they're every bit as reliable as used wives (god knows there's lots of those around).
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

Awesome info guys thanks a bunch..

Keep it comming..

How about scopes with best dials and repeatable click adjustments around $1000???
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
I don't have an FFP scope and think that most of them are sold under the tacti-cool banner. I'm not a professional sniper, I don't plan on taking 500 yard shots on less than maximum magnification, and I don't want teeny weeny little crosshairs when I'm trying to shoot an elk running through the brush at 40 yards.
I really encourage people to judge the particular scopes and reticles they are considering based upon their actual merits, as generalizations such as the above are quite often wrong. For example, one of the favorites here is the NF with the R1 reticle in SFP. The new NP-RF1 reticle in FFP will be faster and easier to see on low power on a running elk at 40 yards. The IOR 3-18 in SFP has a large opening in the middle with very thin lines on low power and is not nearly as fast as the FFP where the thick posts go all the way to the center on low power.

If at all possible, try and get your hands on some of these scopes and look through them for yourself to see what you like the best.