Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help!! First long range rifle. Issue with Vortex PST vs EGR rings and base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help!! First long range rifle. Issue with Vortex PST vs EGR rings and base

Hit up the search box in the upper right hand corner, I think I recall someone else having this issue and there was some along the lines of the PST being bottomed out at that angle that it does not like.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

I had the same issue with the PST. When you get near the end of travel you won't be able to get a full view. That is by Vortex's own admission as designed. There is nothing to stop internal travel from going so far that the tube actually blocks part of the view. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but sure makes you think something is very wrong.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM

I think the guys at Vortex did something to my scope cause I checked everything over and re mounted the scope. I bore sighted it and I have a whole revolution on the elevation knob before it bottems out. Going to the ranch right now to shoot. We'll see.

If this works I'm still not impressed with the scope it still doesnt work right on low power. I think I could get a shot off but thats not what I payed a grand for. I think it could cost me a shot in a low light situation.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Ok it still shot high so I'm going to need to change something. I'm going to go with new rings. I have medium height on there now. Guess I'll go with low rings.

Question: if I want my zero higher, do I need to move the scope lower? My guess is the lower the scope the higher the zero will get.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lowering the scope will only help if the bases you have are different heights. Try reversing them (front with back). If that doesn't help, re-read this thread. Everything else you need to do has already been posted.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Problem solved!!

Thanks Bruce you saved me lots of time and money. Kept my rings and went with a regular base (no moa) and the gun zeros with 46 moa to spare yet I can still get a full circle on low power.

The gun is new so I spent a fortune on ammo and tried 6 brands. Rem Scirooco, Nosler Accubond, Hornady GMX, Berger VLD, Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition.

The Accubonds cut a tiny 1/2 in. hole at 200 yards. So my first elk will hopefullybe taken with a 160gr Accubond.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have a Savage 25 that has the barrel canted to the left. Even still it shoots small groups. Go figure.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Keep your optics clean. Good luck hunting. Send pictures.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent