Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help!! First long range rifle. Issue with Vortex PST vs EGR rings and base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Help!! First long range rifle. Issue with Vortex PST vs EGR rings and base

I had Savage custome build me a 7mag model 10.
Then I chose a Vortex Viper PST 6x24 50mm
I picked Evolution Gun Works 20moa tactical HD base
And their tactical HD rings

I finally get it all together and mount the scope myself . Everything looked great. I get to the range and my first shot is 4 ft high. I crank it on down and it turns out my 200yard zero is the very lowest my turret will go. I was happy with that cause it meant I would have maximum MOA for distance shooting.
Cranked all the way down the viper PST doesn't work properly. I can't see the whole circle in the scope. You get a weird reflection in the top of the scope and on low power its really bad.
I sent the scope back to Vortex and they sent it back and said nothing is wrong with it....grrr that makes me angry cause what's the point of having a 20 MOA base then.

Question is: do I need to go lower? That's my guess. The scope doesn't sit real high. I only have maybe 1/8 of an inch and my bolt will hit my scope I think. There is maybe a quarter inch clearance from the front objective of the scope to the bull barrel.

What should I do? Do y'all think my scope is bad?
I'll post pics if that will help.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help!! First long range rifle. Issue with Vortex PST vs EGR rings and base

I think it's the rail or at least start with that. EGW has had issues with their rails in the past (so I've been told). EGW supplies all of the rails and brakes to Savage BTW. I'm running the same setup on a 11-111 LRH with no issues.

Pull the rail and mike the back end (at the end) and the front end (at the end). at 20 MOA there should be an appreciable 0.015-0.020 difference between the rear and front. Per chance are the rings canted as well? I'm not familiar with EGW rings, I use Warne. You need to check the rail to chamber mounting screws anyway. Mine came with 2 screws tight and 2 loose and no threadlocker at all. Took the rail off, cleaned the mating surfaces and reinstalled using threadlocker and a torque wrench BTW.

You want the objective to ride as close to the barrel as possible. My objective is less than 1/8" above the barrel and the ocular to bolt handle is close but not uncomfortably close.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Are you turning the turrets the right way? Should be clockwise, like you are tightening the turrets into the scopel.

Start with the most simple fixes first.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

After you check the base, move on to the barrel. On high volume production rifles the barrel can be mounted on the receiver crooked. You could easily have 10-12 MOA of alignment error on top of the 20 MOA in the base.

With the base removed, place a 24" steel ruler across the side of the receiver and measure the gap between the end of the ruler and the barrel at about 18" from the receiver. Then repeat with ruler on the opposite side and on the top. If the three measurements are not the same value, the barrel was installed in the receiver crooked.

If the barrel is pointed up, switch to a zero or 10 MOA base.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

wac.. had prettymuch the same results with the one i had, even at one full rev from either end the scope picture was not right. i took mine back and traded it on a mark 4.
its nothing you are doing wrong
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin93 View Post
wac.. had prettymuch the same results with the one i had, even at one full rev from either end the scope picture was not right. i took mine back and traded it on a mark 4.
its nothing you are doing wrong
However, toi err on the side of probability, check all the components first. EGW has been noted to be less than stellar in the past.

Never thought about barrel to receiver alignment. Not something I'd consider but worth considering,
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes I turned them the right way. Going to measure my base and make sure it's on right.