Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help eye sight reticle distortion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Help eye sight reticle distortion

I'm in my middle 50's my eye docter said there is nothing they can do for the destortion in my eyesight,said it comes with age,eye drying out and causes tears.My problem is I have a AV 4x14 TDS swarovski.The lines are wavy just in the center of the cross and the drop comp lines are wavy.I'm wanting to set up a new gun for an elk hunt this fall.A browning A bolt 300 wsm.Does anyone have any ideas on a scope I would be better off with?I have shoot many mule deer at 350 yards and 1 elk at 250 with the 270 abolt with the TDS swarovski.I'll be honest it would have to be perfict conditions and down to the last hour of hunting before I would shoot 500 yards.I do practice at 400,I've been going to Wyoming for 20 years hunting same ranch.To me 350 yards is a darn long hunting shot.I would like to still have the good glass.Was thinking an illuminated dot might work??????The swarovski illuminated are over $3000,Thats a little to much for me for a scope.I would like to stay in the $1200 to $1500 range.Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help eye sight reticle distortion

Do you wear glasses? I have a problem with some scopes that have a thick cross hair..I went to the fine cross hair and it works a lot better..For me anyway and i'm 64..I have a weaver t-36 I use..
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Get prescription eyeglasses. They can grind them to change anything you might see. If doc says no way...get a different doc!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

A second opinion never hurt anybody. Eye "doctor" means different things to different folks. The training overlaps, but is different between Optometrist, and an Ophthalmologist. I'm not knocking either one, but some work better together than others when it comes to referring patients as needed.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Me thinks ur I doc has a couple of screws loose.. . .

I have macular degeneration w/similar but not exact symptoms as you explained. There isn't much that can be done for that. Get a good eye supplement. Bausch & Lomb makes a good one. It'll retard degeneration, some time stop it and some times reverse it.

Mine has been holding steady for years.

Symptom is that where ever you are focused on the reticle it will be crooked. When I move my focus from post to post, one mil dot at a time, the reticle looks like a crawling snake. It's consistent so I can still shoot pretty darn decent.

However it does reduce brightness.

If your prob is dryness or something outside of your eye, I'd see an different doc.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Roy - I have macular degeneration also and take I Caps daily. Am interested in the Bausch and Lomb drops you mention. Went to their web site, there are many different supplements. Which are you referring to? Thanks, Gene
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Roy - I have macular degeneration also and take I Caps daily. Am interested in the Bausch and Lomb drops you mention. Went to their web site, there are many different supplements. Which are you referring to? Thanks, Gene
Geez, sorry, I don't know. I get my stuff from the VA. I'm 70

I Caps are quite popular. Should work fine. . .

Lutein is supposed to be the magic ingredient.

I was checking a scope this morning and discovered the reticle was straight.

I'll take it for as long as it stays.