Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Help choosing a scope for upcoming hunt... details inside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Help choosing a scope for upcoming hunt... details inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Oops. I misread your post about the turrets. I'm on the right page now.

If you're taking a spotting scope, I recommend you look at something like a 3-12X50. That should be ample for big game up to even 800 yds. You'll have much better contrast.

That assumes you have good vision or can wear correction. If you have vision problems then you may have to go to a higher mag.
That's something I haven't thought about. My vision has always been 20/20 or better but lately my shooting eye is getting a little double vision. (getting older sucks!) I have a 12x Sightron on my 223. I'll take it to the range tomorrow, I always need an excuse ;)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ditto here about growing old. I thought I was seeing a little double vision at long distance in my weak (left) eye. A vision exam revealed weak astigmatism. You can't correct that with the diopter/focus knob. A vision exam might be a good investment before the trip.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help choosing a scope for upcoming hunt... details inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtkevin View Post
Any idea on the prices? I found that kelbly.com is a distributor but I cant find prices anywhere.

Here is a couple links...

http://www.marchscopes.co.uk/prices/...rice-30112.pdf

Reticles March Scopes

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein