Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Heads up on leupold scopes (MOA vs IPHY)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Heads up on leupold scopes (MOA vs IPHY)

After talking it out with the smith and looking at what the difference really amounts to I think Im going to work with leupolds for now but still just frustrating. I still think leupold are IPHY as are many scopes, some nikons, burris, zeiss. I wish they would have just stated the true value. I still havent got a call back from a leupold manager but when I do Ill post what I find out.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would not trust advice from a tech support person on this issue. If the 4.7% difference between MOA and IPHY is important to you, then I suggest that you calibrate your scope carefully and accurately at the range. That means:
  1. Place the rifle on a rest located directly under the objective bell, so that there is no confusion about which angle you"re measuring, and you've minimized vertical gun movement between elevation settings.
  2. Measure the target range from the pivot point of your rifle (center of the rest).
  3. Fire five shot groups at zero and -10 "MOA" (indicated), and zero and +10 "MOA" (indicated). Use a single sheet of paper for each comparison. That's three or four five-shot groups, depending on the size of your paper.
  4. Fire a couple of fouling shots and then fire your five-shot groups, allowing five minutes between each shot for the barrel to cool. Use the center of each five shot group to establish the point of impact (POI).
  5. Use a laser rangefinder and a steel ruler to measure distances for POI locations.
  6. Make your measurements and do the math.
That's how I would do it. While I was at it, I would use this live fire test to confirm that my elevation turret is properly aligned to the rifle. That's a topic for another thread, however.

Please report your results here.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I would not trust advice from a tech support person on this issue. If the 4.7% difference between MOA and IPHY is important to you, then I suggest that you calibrate your scope carefully and accurately at the range. That means:
  1. Place the rifle on a rest located directly under the objective bell, so that there is no confusion about which angle you"re measuring, and you've minimized vertical gun movement between elevation settings.
  2. Measure the target range from the pivot point of your rifle (center of the rest).
  3. Fire five shot groups at zero and -10 "MOA" (indicated), and zero and +10 "MOA" (indicated). Use a single sheet of paper for each comparison. That's three or four five-shot groups, depending on the size of your paper.
  4. Fire a couple of fouling shots and then fire your five-shot groups, allowing five minutes between each shot for the barrel to cool. Use the center of each five shot group to establish the point of impact (POI).
  5. Use a laser rangefinder and a steel ruler to measure distances for POI locations.
  6. Make your measurements and do the math.
That's how I would do it. While I was at it, I would use this live fire test to confirm that my elevation turret is properly aligned to the rifle. That's a topic for another thread, however.

Please report your results here.
I cant say when I will get this done but I will try
Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

I think its kinda of funny too, people are asking why does such a little difference matter. Well after spending the money on a custom rifle, load testing the powders to get ES low and a great group and using a precision bullets seater to get the seating depth perfect. Then to hear its close it shouldnt really matter. If close is good enough then why did I need to go through all this and not just keep my 1 moa rifle? I am going to keep using the scope but knowing what my scope click values are will help. I wish I would have realized it from the start. I still havent heard back from leupold but will still post what they say. update I called a third time and got a different tec and he said leupold are all MOA and not IPHY so WTF, hopefully someone higher in the company will call me back and clear this up.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
I cant say when I will get this done but I will try
Haha. Sorry for ending my post that way.

It's actually a simple test that is quite accurate if done carefully. It will take a couple of hours at most. Then you won't have to take anyone's word for it. You'll always know the correct elevation because you calibrated the turret.

I believe it is worthwhile to calibrate your elevation turret if you want to play the long range game. There are too many variables outside of your control. You have to remove as much error as you possibly can from the variables under your control. Turret calibration, reticle alignment, chronographed rounds, measured ballistic coefficients, spind drift, temp, pressure, etc. They're all small effects, but they can add up to a missed shot.

Good luck. I really would like to know what you learn, if you get the chance.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Alan Ransom is head of Leupold Technical Services. Ask to talk to him or Dave Domin.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Lik Bruce said, don't trust the Techs or what is written on a scope...check it yourself.
I've called them on an issue and got more then one answer from different techs, and I've had their adjustments be off by 10% after they blessed off on it.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.