Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

HD or Non HD Swaro STM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

HD or Non HD Swaro STM

Is there a reason to get the HD glass over regular glass on a Swaro STM spotter?

Also for backpack hunting is the 80mm too much, or is the 65mm compete just as well as the 80 for the smaller compact size?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: HD or Non HD Swaro STM

A Swarovski rep told me that the human eye will not see the diff in the hd glass and its benefit is for digiscoping with cameras.
I have not used the 80mm model but I do pack the 65 sheep hunting and I think it's plenty. I wouldn't opt for the extra weight of the 80 if you're doing true backpack hunting
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284 View Post
A Swarovski rep told me that the human eye will not see the diff in the hd glass and its benefit is for digiscoping with cameras.
I have not used the 80mm model but I do pack the 65 sheep hunting and I think it's plenty. I wouldn't opt for the extra weight of the 80 if you're doing true backpack hunting
Not sure on the spotting scopes but the rep is wrong if he is talking about binos. There is a definite difference in HD and non-hd in my opinion. Either one is great but the difference is noticeable when comparing side by side.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

I agree I bought the hd spotter and when set side by side the hd is noticeably brighter
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I never did compare the two but that was straight from the horses mouth
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Before I bought my spotting scope, I did a ton of research. Spent most of my time on the bird watcher forums. Those guys know way more then hunters do about glass. What I found out was HD glass was to control chromatic aberration. This will make for a sharper image but not in and of itself a brighter image.
That being said, I would opt for a 65mm HD version vs. a 80mm non-HD version of a spotting scope.
Seriously, if you want to learn about optics, go research on the bird watchers forums.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice guys... What about the eyepiece? Is the 20x60 sufficient or should I opt for the wide angle 25x50?