Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

Dantec,
I saw your recommendation ot the SLR system - do you have personal experience with this set up? If so, I would love to hear your comments and observations regarding the system, particularly what scope you are using with it.

Please PM me or e-mail me at leibfried@yahoo.com if you want to do this offline.

I look forward to your reply!

SCL in Bogota
Old 09-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

Hey SCL-- i've seen Elmer Laitala's SLR system in action personally-- and i can tell you-- it's one impressive product and must be seen to be believed-- from a 2 mile zero (sort of) to 100 yds. in <1 minute.-- u ought to call him about it-- i'm sure his # is onn the webpage.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

There are 2 guys that shoot in Iowa at 1000 yard and 1 mile competition with the scope mount. Tim shoots with the SAS-250 and reports excellent repeatability with his and Rick has the SAS-1000 model and has good results with his also. Both of these guys are on SAS web page under satisfied customers.
Crow Mag
Old 09-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Bronze Member

SSCOYOTE and CROWMAG,
Thanks for the replies - I have been looking at these systems for awhile now but have yet to take the plunge. I was close to it, but then I had the opportunity to get a USO SN-3 "hubble" - 40mm tube, 88mm objective that I have used on an EDM Windrunner. The scoope is absolutely incredible. I had enough vacation to get enough time to get some good results out to 1800 meters, but then had to go back to my job. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

What glass are your friends and associates using in conjunction with the SLR - loopy scopes? The system looks very cool - I'll probably get one after another month or so of procastinating. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Would love to hear from any other folks with experience on these systems!

SCL in Bogota
Old 09-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

SCL:

I always read your posts with some care. I have only shot my rifles at short range on PDs, etc. (800 yards), but even that has taught me some valuable lessons regarding parallax and resolution.

Lately, shooting squirrels with a .17 HMR at short to medium ranges has further extended my education.

Lately, the SN-3 .25x22.5 moa EREK ERGO with the MOA reticle (note same units for knob and reticle, just like the Europeans with MIL Knob/Mil Reticle system.) has been my design of choice.

Latest has been to upgrade the M40A3 to SN-3 3.8-22x58-35tube for improvement in accuracy at medium range over MST-100 configuration.

Bottom line, I keep going back to USO having tried a number of others and found them wanting. (A personal judgment)

Here is an example of one of those. Not a bad scope, just not in the same league with USO:

Here is my W70 7mm WSM with USO/Horus Sn-3 3.2-17x44/58 with H-25 reticle. Shoots 180 Berger VLD at about 2950 with VV N165 and F215M. Very accurate, Very flat! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS: For those obsessed with price, get over it. If a blue collar engineer like me can afford them, anybody can. You just save up and then buy them. Most I ever spent for a USO scope was around $3000, for a very custom bells and whistles scope. Most were considerably less, even though I tend to load them up. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-29-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]